Subject: Re: CCL:Quanta etc.

From: "Rene P.F. Kanters" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:21:49 -0500

>In fact, of all free visualization programs I am aware of, only RasMol
>works on a large range of hardware without special tricks. And while
>RasMol works fine for what it was intended for, it lacks some features
>that would often be useful (such as animation).
>

If you want animation in addition to the regular RasMol capabilities I
suggest using Chime.
Chime is a WWW browser plugin that works with Netscape, Cyberdog (and I
understand that there are some problems with Internet Explorer).
The disadvantage is that you have to create an html document that embeds
the structure you want to see, but that is a small drawback.

Check out http://www.mdli.com/chemscape/chime/.

Rene P.F. Kanters, Ph. D.
Chemistry Project Specialist
Chemistry Department
University of Richmond, VA 23173

phone:	(804) 287-6873
www:	http://www.science.urich.edu/~kanters/

---

From: Rick Venable <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 15:40:41 -0500 (EST)

> >that would often be useful (such as animation).

Actually, with rasmol 2.6 one can make animations, by creating .ppm file
output for the single frames, and combining them into an animation with
mpeg_encode; the 'set write on' command was added to rasmol to allow it's
use for animations, among other things.

--
Rick Venable                  =====\     |=|    "Eschew Obfuscation"
FDA/CBER Biophysics Lab       |____/     |=|
Bethesda, MD  U.S.A.          |   \  /   |=|  ( Not an official statement or
[email-masked]       \/    |=|    position of the FDA; for that,
http://nmr1.cber.nih.gov/venable.html    |=|    see   http://www.fda.gov  )