Subject: CCL: ScatterPlot3D in Mathematica

From: [email-masked] (Dr. Harold W. Schranz)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 23:04:16 +1000

Dr I.Novak wrote:
>Dear Netters,
>I wish to use ScatterPlot3D function in Mathematica software.
>However, when I try to run a test job (from Mathematica book on packages)
>I do not get a plot but only evaluated numbers.
>The test job is as follows:
>lpts=Table[{t Cos[t],t Sin[t],t},{t,0,4Pi,Pi/20}];
>ScatterPlot3D[lpts]
>Can someone kindly point out the (obvious) mistake I am making?
>Regards,
>Dr I.Novak, Dept.of Chemistry, National University of Singapore
>e-mail: [email-masked]

Hi Dr. Novak,

Possibly you have forgotten to actually load the package
as many Mathematica packages are optional and have to
be explicitly loaded e.g. via a command such as:

Needs["Graphics`Graphics3D`"]

then the ScatterPlot3D will become available

and you can run the required test job:

lpts=Table[{t Cos[t],t Sin[t],t},{t,0,4Pi,Pi/20}];
ScatterPlot3D[lpts]

The following Mathematica session is illustrative:

In[1]:=
?ScatterPlot3D
Information::notfound: Symbol ScatterPlot3D not found.

In[2]:=
Needs["Graphics`Graphics3D`"]

In[3]:=
?ScatterPlot3D
ScatterPlot3D[{{x1, y1, z1}, ...}, (options)] plots points in three
   dimensions as a scatter plot.

In[4]:=
lpts=Table[{t Cos[t],t Sin[t],t},{t,0,4Pi,Pi/20}];
ScatterPlot3D[lpts]

-Graphics3D-

I hope that helps you out.

Regards

Harry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Harold W. Schranz,             Office Ph.: 61-6-249-3773
Research School of Chemistry,      Dept. Ph.:  61-6-249-3637
Australian National University,    Fax:        61-6-249-0750
Canberra, ACT 0200,                Email:      [email-masked]
AUSTRALIA.                         WWW:  http://porsche.anu.edu.au/HWS/hws.html
                                   RSC: http://porsche.anu.edu.au/Default.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------