Subject: Parallel Computing Workshop

From: [email-masked] (Kathy Shippos)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 10:16:46 -0400

Workshop on Parallel Programming for the IBM RS/6000 SP

            Tuesday, April 1 - Friday, April 4, 1997
                   Cornell Theory Center
                     Cornell University
                         Ithaca, NY

            Registration deadline: February 26, 1997

The Cornell Theory Center (CTC), a nationally funded
high-performance computing center, is offering a four-day workshop
including lectures and laboratory sessions on parallel programming
for the IBM SP. CTC's SP, which consists of 512 RISC processors
connected by a high-performance switch, is the largest of its kind in
the world. The SP architecture is distributed memory.

Announcement and registration form:

   http://www.tc.cornell.edu/Edu/Workshops/1997/SP.Apr/sp.html

This workshop will offer lectures and lab sessions on the following topics:

   CTC Essentials:

      These sessions will introduce the participants to the
      logistical and system issues that are essential to using the
      IBM SP at CTC.

   Using CTC's IBM SP Effectively

      These workshop sessions will explore the effect of computer
      architecture on program execution. Basic concepts related to
      timing, tracing, profiling, and modeling program performance
      on the SP architecture will be discussed.

   The Message Passing Interface (MPI) Standard Library

      These sessions present the MPI Standard Library and its
       use in developing a distributed memory parallel program.
       Topics covered include the fundamental MPI subroutine calls,
        point-to-point and collective communication routines, groups
        and communicators, and derived data types.

   High Performance Fortran; Fortran90

      These sessions are intended to introduce Fortran77
      programmers to the more advanced language concepts in
      Fortran90, and to the basics of writing data parallel
      programs using HPF and Fortran90.

All topics are presented through a combination of lecture and lab
exercise. The workshop is intended to give participants a working
knowledge of the fundamental issues involved in writing parallel
programs for the IBM SP at CTC.

Kathy Shippos
Conference Assistant
Cornell Theory Center
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY  14853
[email-masked]
(607) 254-8640