Subject: Re: CCL:Cation binding to neutral molecules

From: [email-masked] (Justin P. Gallivan)
Date: 8 Feb 1997 20:12:01 GMT

[email-masked] (Dr. Sudhir Kulkarni) writes:

>Dear Sirs:

>	I am interested in the complexes of cation-neutral molecule. I shall 
>be grateful to you if you can send me the references of recent works 
>on 'CATION BINDING' studied experimentally or theoretically.

>Thank you very much.

You may want to take a look at some of the work by Dougherty and 
co-workers on the Cation-Pi interaction.  Some leading articles are: 

Cation-Pi Interactions in Chemistry and Biology: A New View of
Benzene, Phe, Tyr, and Trp. D.A. Dougherty, Science, (1996), 271, 163-168.

Cation-pi Interactions in Simple Aromatics: Electrostatics Provide a 
Predictive Tool. S. Mecozzi, A. P. West, Jr., D. A. Dougherty, 
J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1996, 118, 2307-2308.

Cation-pi Interactions in Aromatics of Biological and Medicinal 
Interest. Electrostatic Potential Surfaces as a Useful Qualitative 
Guide. S. Mecozzi, A. P. West, Jr., and D. A. Dougherty, Proc.
Natl. Acad. Sci. (USA) 1996, 93, 10566-10571.

A Mechanism for Ion Selectivity in Potassium Channels: Computational 
Studies of Cation-pi Interactions. R. A. Kumpf, D. A. Dougherty, 
Science 1993, 261, 1708-1710.

For more experimental work, see:

http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~dadgrp/

for a full list of publications from the group.

-Justin Gallivan

-- 
Justin Gallivan		       			    [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 "Never express yourself more clearly than you think."       -Niels Bohr