Subject: PLEASE, DISSEMINATE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT

From: QMBT School <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 15:05:09 WET

\documentstyle[11pt]{article}
\textheight 24cm
\headsep 2.cm
\topmargin -3.cm
\textwidth 17.5cm
\oddsidemargin -0.46cm
\evensidemargin 0.46cm

\begin{document}

\begin{center}
{\Large
{\bf EUROPEAN SUMMER SCHOOL ON \\ MICROSCOPIC
QUANTUM MANY-BODY THEORIES \\ AND THEIR APPLICATIONS}

\vspace{0.2truecm}

Valencia (Spain), 8-19 September 1997
}
\end{center}

\vspace{0.5cm}

\noindent
{\bf Organizing Committee:} 

J. Navarro (Valencia, Spain), and A. Polls (Barcelona, Spain). 

\noindent
{\bf Advisory Committee:} 

J. Arponen (Helsinki, Finland), R.F. Bishop (Manchester, UK),
J.W. Clark (St. Louis, USA), S. Fantoni (Trieste, Italy), P.
Fulde (Stuttgart, Germany), R. Guardiola (Valencia, Spain), A.
Kallio (Oulu, Finland), E. Krotscheck (Linz, Austria), C.
Lhuillier (Paris, France), I. Lindgren (G\"oteborg, Sweden), E.
Mavrommatis (Athens, Greece), V.R. Pandharipande (Urbana, USA),
J. da Provid\^encia (Coimbra, Portugal), M.L. Ristig (K\"oln,
Germany) S. Rosati (Pisa, Italy).

\noindent
{\bf Sponsored by:}

Commission of the European Community (TMR Program). 
Universidad Internacional Men\'endez Pelayo en Valencia. 
Instituci\'o Valenciana d'Estudis i Investigaci\'o. 
IFIC (Centro Mixto CSIC Universidad de Valencia). 
Universidad de Valencia. 

\section{GENERAL INFORMATION}

Nowadays Quantum Many-Body Theory (QMBT) has become an essential
tool for all physicists. By its very nature the field is
interdisciplinary, and its aims are of paramount importance in
almost all areas of modern physical science and materials
research.  Simply stated, they are to understand and predict the
emergent properties of macroscopic matter of all kinds, which
have their underlying origins in the fundamental interactions
between, and the quantum-mechanical nature of, the elementary
constituents at the most microscopic level relevant to the
energy range under consideration.

The rapid evolution of the different formulations of QMBT over
the last decade, together with a serious lack of reference books
on the most recent developments, has provided the clear
rationale defining the main objectives of the proposed Summer
School. Thus we intend to provide both a general overview of QMB
problems and modern theories available to understand them at the
fully microscopic level, and some selected in-depth applications
to physical systems of current intense worldwide interest.

The motivation for and the logistical structure of this Summer
School have emerged naturally from the European Research Network
in {\it Microscopic Quantum Many-Body Theory: Applications to
Traditional and Novel Forms of Matter}, which is presently being
funded by the EC within the framework of the Human Capital and
Mobility Programme. The Advisory Committee has been chosen to
provide a broad cross-section of important groups working in the
fields covered by the School. We therefore expect that the
School will be widely advertised, that the community will
welcome its organisational arrangements, and that its success
will be guaranteed.

The School is addressed to pre-doctoral and recent post-doctoral
researchers (typically all under 35 years in age). The number of
assistents is limited to a maximum of 60 students. In the
eventual selection process, preference will be given to those
applicants resorting from target groups as established by the
European Commission directives.

The cost per participant (double room accomodation with full
board in a centric 3* Hotel) will be approximately 100,000 Pta,
plus a registration fee of 25,000 Pta. The organizers can
provide some support from the Commission of the European
Communities (Training and Mobility of Researchers Programme) to
participants from a Member State of the Community or from an
Associated State. This support covers travel and/or hotel and
boarding expenses.

\section{PROGRAMME}

The selected main topics for this School are: {\bf The Coupled
Cluster Method}, {\bf Correlated Basis Function Theory} and {\bf
Monte Carlo Methods}. These particular topics have been chosen
since they are widely recognized 
to be among the available formulations of QMBT
providing powerful techniques, widely applicable and numerically
accurate at the present attainable levels of implementation. 
Furthermore, the future evolution of the
field depends to a large measure on the possibility to establish
links between these different methods, and especially to devise
hybrid procedures that can build even further upon the huge
strengths and already great advantages of each theory. One of
the main objectives of the School will be to present the topics
in such a way that the participants are motivated to imagine and
discuss with the experts the future developments and
applications of the field.

\subsection*{LECTURERS AND TOPICS}

\begin{itemize}

\item{} R.F. Bishop (Manchester, UK): {\it The Coupled Cluster Method} 
(12h).

\item{} J. Boronat (Barcelona, Spain): {\it Diffusion Monte
Carlo for excited states of liquid Helium} (2h)

\item{} A. Fabrocini (Pisa, Italy): {\it Some
applications of correlated basis functions theory in finite and
infinite nuclear systems} (2h)

\item{} S. Fantoni (Trieste, Italy): {\it Fermi Hypernetted
Chain and Correlated Basis Function Theories for homogeneous
Fermi liquids} (10h) 

\item{} R. Guardiola (Valencia, Spain): {\it Monte Carlo
Methods} (12h)

\item{} U. Kaldor (Tel Aviv): {\it Application of
Coupled Cluster Methods to atoms and molecules} (2h)

\item{} E. Krotscheck (Linz, Austria): 
{\it Variational studies in inhomogeneous systems} (3h), 
{\it Variational calculations at finite temperature} (3h)

\item{} D. Mukherjee (Calcutta, India): {\it Non-perturbative
Cluster Cumulant formalisms for finite temperature
systems} (2h)

\item{} S.C. Pieper (Argonne, USA): {\it Monte Carlo
calculations of nuclei} (2h)

\item{} J.P. Toennies (Gottingen, Germany): {\it Recent and
future experiments on Helium clusters} (2h)

\end{itemize}

\vspace{2truecm}

\begin{center}
{\large
{\bf DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS: \\ MARCH 30th 1997}

\vspace{0.5truecm}
Electronic Application at 
{\bf http://www.uv.es/qmbt}}
\end{center}

\newpage

\begin{center}
{\bf EUROPEAN SUMMER SCHOOL ON \\ MICROSCOPIC
QUANTUM MANY-BODY THEORIES \\ AND THEIR APPLICATIONS}

Valencia (Spain), 8-19 September 1997
\end{center}

\vspace{0.5truecm}

\centerline{\Large {\bf APPLICATION FORM}}

\vspace{0.5truecm}

Name and Surname Mr./Mrs./Ms. {\dotfill}

Age {\dotfill} Nationality {\dotfill}

%\vspace{0.7truecm}

Affiliation {\dotfill}

\mbox{}{\dotfill}

Mailing Address {\dotfill}

\mbox{}{\dotfill}

\mbox{}{\dotfill}

City {\dotfill} Postal Code {\dotfill} Country {\dotfill}

Telephone {\dotfill} Telefax {\dotfill}

E-mail {\dotfill}

%\vspace{0.7truecm}

Graduation date: {\dotfill} University: {\dotfill}

PhD Graduation date: {\dotfill} University: {\dotfill}

\vspace{0.5truecm}

\noindent
Please, attach a brief Curriculum Vitae since graduation, including 
a list of your scientific publications. 

\noindent
Pre-doctoral students should also send a recommendation
letter from their Supervisor or Department Head.

\vspace{0.5truecm}

\noindent
The organizers can provide some support from EU (Training and
Mobility Researchers Program), to cover travel and/or hotel and
boarding expenses for participants coming from EU countries.
The following items are to be answered only by citizens from a
member or associated state of the European Union. 

\begin{itemize}

\item{}
Do you wish to apply for hotel and boarding support?.
\makebox[2truecm][l]{Yes \dotfill}\makebox[2truecm][l]{No \dotfill}

\item{}
Do you wish to apply for travel support?.
\makebox[2truecm][l]{Yes \dotfill}\makebox[2truecm][l]{No
\dotfill} \\
Estimated costs of travel from your Institution City to Valencia
(using most economical air or second class train fare)
\makebox[4truecm][r]{\dotfill}(in Pta or ECU)

\end{itemize}

\vspace{0.5truecm}

Date {\dotfill} Signature {\dotfill}

\vspace{1truecm}

{ {\bf PLEASE RETURN NOT LATER THAN MARCH 30th 1997 to:}}

\vspace{0.5truecm}
{\small

\hspace{2truecm} \makebox[5.5truecm][l]{J. Navarro}
\hspace{1.5truecm} \makebox[5truecm][l]{E-mail : [email-masked]}

\hspace{2truecm} \makebox[5.5truecm][l]{IFIC} 
\hspace{1.5truecm} \makebox[5truecm][l]{http://www.uv.es/qmbt}

\hspace{2truecm} \makebox[5.5truecm][l]{Facultad de F\'{\i}sica}
\hspace{1.5truecm} \makebox[5truecm][l]{Telefax : + 34 6 386 4583}

\hspace{2truecm} \makebox[5.5truecm][l]{Avda. Dr. Moliner, 50}
\hspace{1.5truecm} \makebox[5truecm][l]{Telephone : + 34 6 386 4578}

\hspace{2truecm} \makebox[5.5truecm][l]{E-46.100 Burjassot (Valencia)}

}

\end{document}