Subject: 97.09.08 Euro Sch. Microscopic Many-Body Theory & Appl

From: QMBT School <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 15:05:09 WET

(Note: converted from LaTeX to text by Jan Labanowski)

 EUROPEAN  SUMMER  SCHOOL  ON  MICROSCOPIC  QUANTUM

    MANY-BODY  THEORIES  AND  THEIR  APPLICATIONS

     Valencia (Spain), 8-19 September 1997

Organizing Committee:
    J. Navarro (Valencia, Spain), and A. Polls (Barcelona,
Spain).
Advisory Committee:
    J.  Arponen  (Helsinki,  Finland),  R.F.  Bishop  (Manch-
ester, UK), J.W. Clark (St.  Louis, USA), S. Fantoni (Tri-
este, Italy), P. Fulde (Stuttgart, Germany), R. Guardiola
(Valencia, Spain), A. Kallio (Oulu, Finland), E. Krotscheck
(Linz,  Austria),  C.  Lhuillier  (Paris,  France),  I.  Lindgren
(G"oteborg, Sweden), E. Mavrommatis (Athens, Greece), V.R.
Pandharipande (Urbana, USA), J. da Providencia (Coim-
bra, Portugal), M.L. Ristig (K"oln, Germany) S. Rosati (Pisa,
Italy).
Sponsored by:
    Commission  of  the  European  Community  (TMR  Pro-
gram).  Universidad Internacional Menendez Pelayo en Va-
lencia.  Institucio Valenciana d'Estudis i Investigacio.  IFIC
(Centro Mixto CSIC Universidad de Valencia). Universidad
de Valencia.

1     GENERAL  INFORMATION

Nowadays Quantum Many-Body Theory (QMBT) has be-
come an essential tool for all physicists.  By its very nature
the field is interdisciplinary, and its aims are of paramount
importance in almost all areas of modern physical science
and materials research.  Simply stated, they are to under-
stand and predict the emergent properties of macroscopic
matter of all kinds, which have their underlying origins in
the  fundamental  interactions  between,  and  the  quantum-
mechanical  nature  of,  the  elementary  constituents  at  the
most microscopic level relevant to the energy range under
consideration.
    The rapid evolution of the different formulations of QMBT
over the last decade, together with a serious lack of reference
books on the most recent developments, has provided the
clear rationale defining the main objectives of the proposed
Summer School.  Thus we intend to provide both a general
overview of QMB problems and modern theories available
to understand them at the fully microscopic level, and some
selected in-depth applications to physical systems of current
intense worldwide interest.
    The motivation for and the logistical structure of this
Summer School have emerged naturally from the European
Research Network in Microscopic Quantum Many-Body The-
ory: Applications to Traditional and Novel Forms of Matter,
which is presently being funded by the EC within the frame-
work of the Human Capital and Mobility Programme. The
Advisory Committee has been chosen to provide a broad
cross-section of important groups working in the fields cov-
ered by the School.  We therefore expect that the School
will be widely advertised, that the community will welcome
its organisational arrangements, and that its success will be
guaranteed.
    The School is addressed to pre-doctoral and recent post-
doctoral researchers (typically all under 35 years in age).
The number of assistents is limited to a maximum of 60
students.  In the eventual selection process, preference will
be given to those applicants resorting from target groups as
established by the European Commission directives.
    The  cost  per  participant  (double  room  accomodation
with full board in a centric 3* Hotel) will be approximately
100,000 Pta, plus a registration fee of 25,000 Pta.  The or-
ganizers can provide some support from the Commission of
the European Communities (Training and Mobility of Re-
searchers Programme) to participants from a Member State
of the Community or from an Associated State.  This sup-
port covers travel and/or hotel and boarding expenses.

2     PROGRAMME

The selected main topics for this School are: The Coupled
Cluster Method, Correlated Basis Function Theory
and Monte Carlo Methods. These particular topics have
been chosen since they are widely recognized to be among
the available formulations of QMBT providing powerful tech-
niques, widely applicable and numerically accurate at the
present attainable levels of implementation.  Furthermore,
the future evolution of the field depends to a large measure
on the possibility to establish links between these different
methods,  and especially to devise hybrid procedures that
can build even further upon the huge strengths and already
great advantages of each theory. One of the main objectives
of the School will be to present the topics in such a way that
the participants are motivated to imagine and discuss with
the experts the future developments and applications of the
field.

LECTURERS AND TOPICS

    o R.F. Bishop (Manchester, UK): The Coupled Cluster
      Method (12h).

    o J. Boronat (Barcelona, Spain): Diffusion Monte Carlo
      for excited states of liquid Helium (2h)

    o A. Fabrocini (Pisa, Italy):  Some applications of cor-
      related basis functions theory in finite and infinite nu-
      clear systems (2h)

    o S. Fantoni (Trieste, Italy):  Fermi Hypernetted Chain
      and Correlated Basis Function Theories for homoge-
      neous Fermi liquids (10h)

    o R. Guardiola (Valencia, Spain): Monte Carlo Methods
      (12h)

    o U. Kaldor (Tel Aviv): Application of Coupled Cluster
      Methods to atoms and molecules (2h)

   o E. Krotscheck (Linz, Austria):  Variational studies in
     inhomogeneous systems (3h), Variational calculations
     at finite temperature (3h)

   o D. Mukherjee (Calcutta, India): Non-perturbative Clus-
     ter  Cumulant  formalisms  for  finite  temperature  sys-
     tems (2h)

   o S.C. Pieper (Argonne, USA): Monte Carlo calculations
     of nuclei (2h)

   o J.P. Toennies (Gottingen, Germany):  Recent and fu-
     ture experiments on Helium clusters (2h)

       DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF

                    APPLICATIONS:

                   MARCH 30th 1997

Electronic Application at http://www.uv.es/qmbt

 EUROPEAN SUMMER SCHOOL ON MICROSCOPIC QUANTUM MANY-BODY
     THEORIES  AND THEIR APPLICATIONS
  Valencia (Spain), 8-19 September 1997

              APPLICATION  FORM

    Name and Surname Mr./Mrs./Ms.  __________________
    Age  __________________  Nationality  __________________
    Affiliation ____________________________________________
     ______________________________________________________
    Mailing Address ______________________________________
     ______________________________________________________
     ______________________________________________________
    City  ________  Postal Code  ________  Country  ________
    Telephone  ________________  Telefax  ________________
    E-mail  ______________________________________________
    Graduation date:  ____________  University:  ____________
    PhD Graduation date:  ________  University:  ________

Please,  attach a brief Curriculum Vitae since graduation,
including a list of your scientific publications.
Pre-doctoral students should also send a recommendation
letter from their Supervisor or Department Head.

The organizers can provide some support from EU (Training
and Mobility Researchers Program), to cover travel and/or
hotel and boarding expenses for participants coming from
EU countries.  The following items are to be answered only
by citizens from a member or associated state of the Euro-
pean Union.

    o Do you wish to apply for hotel and boarding support?.
      Yes ______   No ________

    o Do you wish to apply for travel support?. Yes ______   No ________
      Estimated costs of travel from your Institution City

      to Valencia (using most economical air or second class
      train fare) ______________________    (in Pta or ECU)

    Date __________________ Signature __________________

    PLEASE RETURN NOT LATER THAN MARCH
30th 1997 to:

 J. Navarro                         E-mail : [email-masked]
 IFIC                               http://www.uv.es/qmbt
 Facultad de Fisica                 Telefax : + 34 6 386 4583
 Avda. Dr. Moliner, 50              Telephone : +34 6 386 4578
 E-46.100 Burjassot (Valencia)