Subject: CCL: Re: Helical Axes

From: [email-masked] (Eberhard von Kitzing)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 09:09:46 +0100

Dear Bruce Luxon,

At 14:24 Uhr 13.02.1997, Bruce A. Luxon wrote:
>Does anyone have a routine, a reference or a thought on how to
>construct the central axis of a DNA or RNA double helix -
>especially for A-DNA (B is reasonably well-behaved)?  I've
>searched quite a bit and tried several approaches but so far
>nothing I've dug up is satisfactory for the relatively short
>segments I'm looking at (e.g. 10-mers or less). Long segments can
>be done several ways but the short ones are difficult. Hmmm...

In my article:
Eberhard von Kitzing and Stephan Diekmann (1987). "Molecular mechanics
calculations of dA12*dT12 and of the curved molcule d(GCTCGAAAAA)4 *
d(TTTTTCGAGC)4." European Biophysics Journal 15 13-26.

I describe how to calculate cylinder axes. Exept for one or two signs
it follows the conventions proposed in:
R. E. Dickerson (1989). "Definitions and nomenclature of nucleic acid
structure parameters." Journal of Biomolecular Structure & Dynamics 6(4)
627-34.

R. E. Dickerson (1989). "Definitions and nomenclature of nucleic acid
structure components." Nucleic Acids Research 17(5) 1797-803.

======================================================================

Eberhard von Kitzing

Max-Planck-Institut fuer Medizinische Forschung
Jahnstr. 29
D 69115 Heidelberg
Germanny

email: [email-masked]
WWW: http://sunny.mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de/people/vkitzing/Eberhard.html