Subject: HELP: setting up Alpha workstation farm

From: [email-masked] (Gabriel Berriz)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:09:20 -0500

Hello, all.

This question is addressed to people (sysadmins, &c.) with experience
setting up Alpha workstations for a computational chemistry
laboratory.

Our lab decided to purchase several new workstations, including 4
Alpha 500/500 clones.  Through our university, we can get a special
deal on Digital UNIX software (not including the DEC Base OS).  The
catch is that no one in our lab has any experience whatsoever with
setting up an Alpha system, or with DEC products in general; in
particular, we don't know what specific software items are essential
or desirable for the kind of work we do here.  Since we write our own
code, we will need typical programming tools (C and Fortran90
compilers, debuggers, lint, make, profiler, &c.), but looking at the
list of software we have (cf. below), it is not always readily
apparent what items correspond to these needs.

We could try to decipher the meaning in Digitalese of names such as
"Cohesion Team/SEE Integ UNIX AXP", but we fear that, without
first-hand experience with this software line, there would be a
significant likelihood that we would fail to recognize an item that we
really should have.  (It has happened all-to-often to us in the past
that we have purchased software or hardware that was missing some
important component--e.g. CD ROM--, because we hadn't realized that it
was, in fact, an option; we call it "the letter q for the keyboard is
an extra option" phenomenon).

Hence, we think it is best to get the advice of those CCL readers who
have faced a similar situation.  We would appreciate it greatly if
someone could pick out from the list below the software items we would
need or want to have in a computational chemistry lab.  (A rough
classification of these items into "essential" and "desirable" would
be very useful, too.)

To minimize duplicated efforts, please post your replies.  Your help
is greatly appreciated.

Gabriel Berriz
[email-masked]
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology
Harvard University

==========================================================================

              DIGITAL UNIX (formerly DEC OSF/1) Product Listing
 
 PAKs for the Digital UNIX (formerly DEC OSF/1) products listed below are 
 platform generic and will work on either a RISC/UNIX or AXP/UNIX system. 
 Products that are indicated as "Not LMF compliant" do not require a PAK. 

 PRODUCT NAME				 UPI   SPD #	  LMF/PAK NAME

 Altavista Directory, Alpha UNIX	 2FY   40.77.xx   X500-SERVER-USAGE   	
 Altavista Directory, Alpha UNIX, AdmiN  2FZ   40.77.xx   X500-ADMIN-FACILITY   
 Altavista Firewall Digital UNIX         4F9   64.21.xx	  DFW-BASE	
 Altavista Forum for Digital UNIX  	 4VV   ********   Not LMF Compliant
 Altavista Tunnel Workgrp, Digital UNIX  4W0   56.13.xx   TUNNEL-SERVER 
 Cohesion Team/SEE Integ UNIX AXP	 30E   xx.xx.xx	  Not LMF Compliant
 COHESIONworX Ada UNIX AXP		 3N8   50.63.xx	  Not LMF Compliant
 
 DBA Wrkcntr Full Svr Agt UNIX AXP	 2RC   53.18.xx	  DEC-PATROL-SERVER
 DBA Wrkcntr Patrol Runtime UNIX AXP	 2RG   53.18.xx	  DEC-PATROL-RUNTIME
 
 DCE App Develop Kit UNIX 		 MJH   38.74.xx	  Not LMF compliant
 DCE CDS Server UNIX 			 MJL   38.74.xx	  Not LMF compliant
 DCE Runtime Service UNIX 		 01M   43.06.xx	  DCE-RT-SVC

 DEC Ada UNIX AXP			 0HM   45.89.xx	  ADAO
 DEC Ada PDO UNIX AXP			 0VS   45.89.xx	  ADAO-PDO
 DECATHENA Client UNIX AXP		 36L   47.56.xx	  DECATHENA
 DECATHENA Server UNIX AXP		 36H   47.56.xx	  DECATHENA
 
 DEC Cobol UNIX AXP			 2BZ   51.16.xx	  COBOL
  
 DEC C++ for Digital UNIX		 MTR   41.91.xx	  CXXOSF

 DEC Data Distributor UNIX AXP		 2Q6   52.95.xx	  DATA-DISTRIBUTOR
 DEC DB Integ Develop UNIX AXP		 2Q7   47.25.xx	  DBI-DEV
 DEC DB Integ Gatewy DB2 UNIX AXP^^	 2QA   52.97.xx	  DB-GATEWAY-DB2
 DEC DB Integ Gatewy EDA/SQL UNIX AXP^^	 2NA   52.97.xx	  DB-GATEWAY-EDASQL
 DEC DB Integ Gatewy PC Data UNIX AXP	 3DX   63.31.xx	  DB-GATEWAY-PCDATA
 DEC DB Integ Gatewy SequeLink UNIX AXP	 3E0   63.35.xx	  DB-GATEWAY-SQLNK
 DEC DB Integ Gatewy Sybase UNIX AXP^^	 2RZ   53.24.xx	  DB-GATEWAY-SYBASE
 DEC DB Integ Interactive UNIX AXP	 2Q9   47.25.xx	  DVI-INT
 DEC DB Integ Runtime UNIX AXP		 2Q8   52.96.xx	  DBI-RT
 DEC DCE Dev Kit Services UNIX AXP**	 01N   43.06.xx	  DCE-APP-DEV
 DEC DCE CDS Server UNIX AXP		 01P   43.06.xx	  DCE-CDS
 
 DEC EDI App Client UNIX AXP		 2Y2   53.50.xx	  EDI-APP-SERV	     
 DEC/EDI BI-SYNCH Comm Server UNIX AXP	 2Y6   53.50.xx	  EDI-BISYNC-SERV
 DEC/EDI BI-SYNCH Package UNIX AXP	 2Y7   53.50.xx	  EDI-BISYNC-PACKAGE
 DEC/EDI OFTP Comm Server UNIX AXP	 2Y5   53.50.xx	  EDI-OFTP-SERV
 DEC/EDI OFTP Package UNIX AXP		 2Y8   53.50.xx	  EDI-OFTP-PACKAGE
 DEC/EDI X.400 Comm Server UNIX AXP	 2Y4   53.50.xx	  EDI-X400-SERV
 DEC/EDI X.400 Package UNIX AXP		 2Y9   53.50.xx	  EDI-X400-PACKAGE
 
 DEC Fortran UNIX Alpha			 MV2   37.54.xx	  FORTRAN-O
 DEC Fortran 90 UNIX AXP		 2AS   46.41.xx	  FORTRAN90-O
 DEC Fullsail Client UNIX AXP**		 267   34.20.xx	  FS-CLIENT
 DEC Fullsail Usr Interface UNIX AXP** 	 269   34.20.xx	  FS-USER-INTERFACE
 
 DEC FUSE for Digital UNIX 		 092   44.71.xx   FUSE  
 DEC FUSE C++ Support UNIX AXP		 094   44.71.xx   FUSE-C
 DEC FUSE Ada Support UNIX AXP		 096   44.71.xx   FUSE-ADA

 DEC GKS Development UNIX AXP		 02W   42.61.xx	  GKS
 DEC GKS Runtime UNIX AXP		 02X   42.61.xx	  GKS-RT
 
 DECimage Server UNIX AXP		 2ZX   43.97.xx	  DECIMAGE
 DEC MAILworks Client UNIX AXP		 0PB   45.16.xx	  MAILWORKS
 DEC MAILworks Server UNIX AXP		 0PC   45.16.xx	  MAILWORKS
 DEC MediaImpact Author Kit UNIX AXP	 0UZ   47.43.xx	  MEDIAIMPACT-AUTH
 DEC MediaImpact Rtime Kit UNIX AXP	 0UY   47.43.xx	  MEDIAIMPACT-RT
 DECmessageQ Development UNIX AXP	 2W7   39.25.xx	  DMQ-DEV
 DECmessageQ Develop 88 Open UNIX AXP	 MK7   39.25.xx	  Not LMF Compliant
 DECmessageQ Runtime UNIX AXP		 2W8   39.25.xx	  DMQ-RTO
 DECmigrate UNIX AXP			 MWN   39.34.xx	  DECMIGRATE
 DEC MLS Plus UNIX AXP			 0UN   46.21.xx	  MLS-PLUS
 
 DECnet/OSI End System UNIX AXP		 MTJ   41.92.xx	  DECNET-OSI-END
 DECnet/OSI Ext Function UNIX AXP	 MTK   41.92.xx.  DECNET-OSI-EXT
 DEC Object/DB Application UNIX AXP **	 0R1   46.58.xx	  DECODB-APPL
 DEC Object/DB Development UNIX AXP **	 0R0   46.58.xx	  DECODB-DEV
 DEC Object/DB Runtime UNIX AXP **	 0R2   46.58.xx	  DECODB-RT-USER
 DEC Open3d UNIX AXP			 0AF   45.07.xx	  OPEN3D
 DEC OPS5 UNIX				 MKN   39.31.xx	  OPS5-COMPILER
 DEC OSDS-Optical Storage Desktop UNIX   2VP   63.39.xx   OSDS
 DEC OSMS-Optical Storage Mgt Sftw UNIX  2VR   53.38.xx	  OSMS   
 
 DEC PASCAL UNIX AXP			 MUK   42.46.xx	  PASCAL-O
 DEC PASCAL UNIX			 XYV   36.72.xx	  Not LMF compliant
 DEC PHIGS Dev UNIX AXP			 0A8   44.62.xx	  PHIGS
 DEC PHIGS Runtime UNIX AXP 		 0A9   44.62.xx	  PHIGS-RUNTIME
 
 DEC Rdb Runtime UNIX AXP  ##		 2Q4   52.94.xx   RDB-RUNTIME
 DEC Reli Brdcst SW Dist UNIX AXP	 351   62.84.xx	  DECRBSDISTRIBUTOR
 					       		  -OA
 DEC Reli Brdcst SW Monitor UNIX AXP	 350   62.84.xx	  DECRBSMONITOR-OA
 DEC Reli Brdcst SW Trans UNIX AXP	 34Z   62.84.xx	  DECRBSTRANSMITTER
 					       		  -OA
 DEC Reli Trans Rtr Client UNIX AXP	 2K2   51.54.xx	  RTR-CL
 DEC Reli Trans Rtr Server UNIX AXP	 2K3   51.54.xx	  RTR-SVR
 
 DECsafe Available Server UNIX AXP	 05S   44.17.xx	  ASE-OA
 DEC Signal Sys 7 Backend UNIX AXP	 3Z6   34.19.xx	  DECSS7-BEP
 DEC Signal Sys 7 Backend ANSI UNIX AXP	 3Z7   34.19.xx	  DECSS7-BEP-ANSI
 DEC Signal Sys 7 Backend FT UNIX AXP	 3ZA   34.19.xx	  DECSS7-BEP-FT
 DEC Signal Sys 7 Backend ITU UNIX AXP	 3Z8   34.19.xx	  DECSS7-BEP-ITU
 DEC Signal Sys 7 Backend TTC UNIX AXP	 3Z9   34.19.xx	  DECSS7-BEP-TTC
 DEC Signal Sys 7 FrontEnd UNIX AXP	 3ZB   34.19.xx	  DECSS7-FEP 
 DEC SNA 3270 App Svc Dev UNIX AXP ++	 2UA   38.70.xx	  SNA-3270-SVCS-DEV
 DEC SNA 3270 App Svc RT UNIX AXP  ++	 2UB   38.70.xx	  SNA-3270-SVCS-RT
 DEC SNA Peer Server UNIX AXP  ++	 2D7   51.08.xx	  SNA-PEER-SERVER    
 DECspin AUdio UNIX 			 10R   48.10.xx	  DECSPIN-AUD-OSF1
 DECSPIN Video UNIX AXP			 0WA   48.10.xx	  DECSPIN-VID-OSF1
 DEC SQL Development UNIX  		 2PY   52.91.xx   SQL-DEV   
 DECtalk Software UNIX AXP   		 228   48.98.xx	  DECTALK-SW
 DECTRACE Development UNIX AXP		 3AP   63.24.xx	  DECTRACE
 
 DECwind SNA 3270 Term Emul UNIX AXP ++	 30A   62.63.xx	  DW-SNA-3270-TE-OA
 
 DEC X.25 UNIX AXP			 MVD   42.47.xx	  X25-NATIVE
 Digital Authoring Svcs UNIX AXP	 3QN   63.93.xx	  DIGITAL-AUTHENT-
 Digital Driver for MAPI     		 4WM   64.33.xx   **************
 Digital Ext Math Lib RT UNIX AXP 	 MUY   41.85.xx   EXT-MATH-LIB-RT
 Digital Ext Math Lib Dev UNIX AXP	 MUX   41.84.xx	  EXT-MATH-LIB
 Digital Fraud Management System         5HH   61.40.xx   Not LMF Compliant
 Digital Parallel SW Environ UNIX AXP	 2AT   51.09.xx	  PSE-O
 Digital PCI-VME Adapter Drvr UNIX AXP	 37J   61.54.xx	  PCIVME-OPT1-OSF
 Digital Speech Recognition Softw UNIX   4AY   64.14.xx   DSRS-USER
 Digital UNIX Driver for MEMORY CHANNEL  4ZC   60.55.XX	  MCA-UA 
 Digital UNIX RISC (2-unlim interact usr)XYW   36.29.xx	  Not LMF Compliant
 Digital UNIX RISC Dev Extension	 MHM   36.29.xx	  Not LMF Compliant
 Digital UNIX RISC Migration Dev Exten	 MKX   36.29.xx	  Not LMF Compliant
 Digital UNIX RISC Server Extension	 MHN   36.29.xx	  Not LMF Compliant
 Digital UNIX RISC Migration Svr Exten	 MKY   36.29.xx	  Not LMF Compliant
 Digital UNIX AXP (2-unlim interact usr) MT7   41.61.xx	  OSF-USR
 Digital UNIX AXP C Dev Extension	 MT5   41.61.xx	  OSF-DEV
 Digital UNIX AXP Dev Toolkit		 0NW   46.22.xx	  OSF-DEV
 Digital UNIX AXP Server Extension	 MT6   41.61.xx	  OSF-SVR
 
 Disk Shadowing UNIX AXP		 NCY   34.27.xx	  DSO-AOSF 
 
 Framework Based Envir Obj Svc Dev AXP	 4S1   64.25.xx	  FBEOS-DEV
 Framework Based Envir Obj Svc RT AXP	 4RR   64.25.xx	  FBEOS-RT
 
 HUBwatch OSF/1 UNIX** 			 0MW   46.65.xx	  HUBWATCH-FOR-OSF
 Intelligent Periph Fault Mgr UNIX AXP	 4K4   60.35.xx	  IP-FAULT-MANAGER
 Internet Elec Locker Admin UNIX AXP	 3NC   63.90.xx	  INT-ELEC-LOCKER-
 					       		  ADMIN
 
 MAILbus 400 API UNIX AXP		 0NM   46.90.xx	  MAILBUS-400-API
 MAILbus 400 Msg Store UNIX AXP 	 2F8   51.22.xx	  MB400-MSG-STORE
 MAILbus 400 Msg Trans Agt UNIX AXP	 0NL   46.90.xx	  MAILBUS-400-MTA
 MAILbus 400 SMTP Gateway Digital UNIX 	 0NN   46.91.xx   X.400-SMTP-GW
 Multimedia Svcs Dev UNIX AXP		 20Z   48.92.xx	  MMS-DK
 Multimedia Svcs Runtime UNIX AXP	 20Y   48.92.xx	  MMS-RT
 
 ObjectBroker Dev UNIX AXP		 0TS   47.07.xx	  ACAS-DEV
 ObjectBroker Runtime UNIX AXP		 0TT   47.07.xx	  ACAS-RT
 OpenDATA Manager Client UNIX AXP	 2CE   51.12.xx	  OPENDATAMGR-CL-AOSF
 OpenDATA Manager Dev UNIX AXP		 35Y   51.12.xx	  OPENDATAMGR-DV-AOSF
 OpenDATA Manager Runtime UNIX AXP	 35U   51.12.xx	  OPENDATAMGR-RT-AOSF
 OpenDATA Manager Server UNIX AXP	 2CB   51.12.xx	  OPENDATAMGR-SV-AOSF
 
 POLYCENTER Adv File Sys Util UNIX AXP	 0EG   44.52.xx	  ADVFS-UTILITIES
 POLYCENTER Capacity Plan Cli UNIX AXP	 23Q   36.04.xx	  CAPACITY-PLANNER
 POLYCENTER Common Agt Base UNIX AXP	 00S   43.40.xx	  COM-AGNT-BAS
 POLYCENTER Common Agt ToolKit UNIX AXP**00Y   43.41.xx	  COM-AGNT-DEV
 POLYCENTER Console Mgr UNIX AXP	 2PD   42.90.xx	  POLY-CONSOLEMGR    
 POLYCENTER Data Collector UNIX AXP**	 10Q   46.97.xx	  DATA-COL-UNIX
 POLYCENTER DECnet Mgr Client UNIX AXP	 4P8   62.53.xx	  POLY-DECNET-MGR-
							  CLIENT 
 POLYCENTER DECnet Mgr/Netview UNIX AXP	 2WU   62.53.xx	  POLY-DECNET-MGR
 POLYCENTER Intrusion Detector UNIX AXP	 33X   43.08.xx	  POLYCTR-SID	     
 POLYCENTER MAILbus Monitor UNIX (Client)4XF   64.40.xx   POLY-MAIL-MON-CLT-
							  USER 
 POLYCENTER MAILbus Monitor UNIX (Server)4XG   64.40.xx   POLY-MAIL-MON-SRV  
 POLYCENTER MAILbus Monitor UNIX (SDK)   4XH   64.40.xx   POLY-MAIL-MON-API   
 POLYCENTER PathDoctor UNIX AXP		 2HK   51.29.xx	  POLY-PATHDOCTOR
 POLYCENTER Perf Advisor UNIX AXP	 3SM   64.08.xx	  DECPS-PA
 POLYCENTER Perf Data Collector UNIX AXP 4FD   64.22.xx	  DECPS-DC
 POLYCENTER Scheduler UNIX AXP		 3AQ   45.52.xx	  DECSCHEDULER
 POLYCENTER Scheduler Agent UNIX AXP	 0M0   46.51.xx	  DECSCHEDULER-EXEC  
 POLYCENTER Security Intrusion Det UNIX  33X   43.08.xx
 POLYCENTER Secur Compli Mgr UNIX AXP	 2K8   55.86.xx	  DECINSPECT-CM-OSF
 POLYCENTER Sys Wtchdog Agt UNIX AXP	 3A6   41.43.xx	  POLY-SWDAGT
 POLYCENTER Sys Wtchdog Consol UNIX AXP	 3A5   41.42.xx	  POLY-SWDCON
 POLY Performance Monitor UNIX AXP	 0WF   46.97.xx	  MONITOR-UNIX
 
 SNA Application LU6.2 Dev UNIX AXP	 4UR   56.11.xx	  SNA-APPC-LU6.2-
 					       		  UA-DEV
 SNA Application LU6.2 RunTime UNIX AXP	 4UQ   56.11.xx	  SNA-APPC-LU6.2-
 					       		  UA-RT
 STORAGEWORKS AML Development UNIX AXP	 3HA   63.55.xx	  PVL-SDK
 STORAGEWORKS AML Oracle UNIX AXP	 3HG   63.58.xx	  PVL-ORACLE
 STORAGEWORKS RAID Array Util UNIX AXP	 383   47.40.xx	  RAID-110-UTIL-
 					       		  DEC-OSF1
 
 TEAM/See Clearcase Integ UNIX AXP	 4CJ   64.11.xx	  Not LMF compliant
 TEAM/See Dictionary Client UNIX 	 28H   50.90.xx	  Not LMF compliant
 TEAM/See Metrics UNIX 			 28L   50.90.xx	  Not LMF compliant
 TEAM/See Metrics Ada Analyz UNIX AXP 	 2AK   50.90.xx	  Not LMF compliant
 TEAM/See Metrics C++ Analyz UNIX AXP 	 2AJ   50.90.xx	  Not LMF compliant
 TEAM/See Metrics Cash Analyz UNIX AXP	 2TZ   50.90.xx	  Not LMF compliant
 TEAM/See Metrics Customiz UNIX AXP	 2AG   50.90.xx	  Not LMF compliant
 TEAM/See Metrics Predict UNIX 		 2AH   50.90.xx	  Not LMF compliant
 TEAM/See Metrics Rpts UNIX AXP		 2AF   50.90.xx	  Not LMF compliant
 TeMIP ASCII Management Toolkit  UNIX	 3GW   63.38.xx  TEMIP-ASCII-AM-DK-OSF1 
 TeMIP OSI Management Runtime UNIX  	 2HH   51.28.xx  TEMIP-OSI-AM-RT-OSF1
 TeMIP OSI Management Toolkit UNIX	 2HE   51.28.xx	 TEMIP-OSI-AM-DK-OSF1  

 TruCluster Software for Digital UNIX    3RL   63.92.xx   TCR-UA

---

From: [email-masked] (Gabriel Berriz)
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:11:45 -0500

Dear netters:

Earlier today I posted a question that included:

   Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:09:20 -0500
   From: [email-masked] (Gabriel Berriz)

   ...

   We would appreciate it greatly if someone could pick out from the
   list below the software items we would need or want to have in a
   computational chemistry lab.  (A rough classification of these
   items into "essential" and "desirable" would be very useful, too.)

   ...

Since then I learned that we do not have the choice I thought we had
(i.e. the list I posted is a non-severable software suite; we can get
either all or none of it).  Hence my earlier question is superfluous.
Please disregard it.  My sincere apologies to those who took the time
to reply.

Gabriel Berriz