Subject: ? re expt'l conformations

From: "Hr. Dr. S. Shapiro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 07:31:23 +0100

Dear Colleagues;

	For some work in which I am engaged, I am seeking some _experimental_ data
relating to molecular conformations.  I found some of the information I need
during a manual search of Chemical Abstracts, but some important data still
eludes me.  So perhaps some knowledgeable person reading this posting might
me able to help me:

	(a) I need experimental values for the dihedral angles
C(H3)-C(O)-C(ar)-C(ar) for ortho-, meta-, and/or para-acetylphenol,
preferably in the gas phase.  (I found some information about acetophenone
and salicylaldehyde, not not about acetylphenols in particular.)

	(b) I need experimental data relating to the conformation, especially (but
not exclusively) the gas phase conformation, of

		(1) cyclohexylbenzene
		(2) cyclohexyloxybenzene
		(3) o-, m-, and/or p-cyclohexyloxyphenol
		(4) cyclohexylmethylbenzene
		(5) cyclohexylmethoxybenzene
		(6) o-, m-, and/or p-cyclohexylmethoxyphenol
		(7) diphenylmethane (I found very conflicting values in the old chemical
literature)
		(8) benzyloxybenzene
		(9) o-, m-, and/or p-benzyloxyphenol

	(c) MM and QM projections indicate that in the gas phase the alkyl chains
of alkylbenzenes and alkylphenols, and of alkoxybenzenes and alkoxyphenols,
will be in an extended all-trans conformation.  Is anyone aware of
experimental studies to confirm these theoretical results?

	If anyone knows of any useful references pertinent to (a), (b), and/or (c),
kindly share them with me at your earliest convenience.

	Thanks in advance to all responders.

Sincerely,

S. Shapiro
[email-masked]