Subject: software for review

From: "Stephen R. Heller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 08:47:28 -0500 (EST)

Subject: Software and Database for Review

February 25, 1997

Subject:  Computer Software for Review

     As the Software Review Editor for the ACS Journal of
Chemical Information and Computer Science (JCICS) I often get
software for review in the journal.   I have 3 new software and
database products. I am looking for people who are willing to
review these software/databases products.  In return for the
review which is published in JCICS you get to keep the software
or database.  The review should be completed in 1-3 months.  The
length of the review is 4-10 double spaced typed pages.  Sample
reviews can be found in most of the recent issues of JCICS.

     Please try to give me some (short) reason to choose you over
another person. DO NOT SAY YOU WILL REVIEW ANYTHING I HAVE
AVAILABLE.  Messages with such replies are trashed!

     I have tried this approach for about the past five years and
it is working reasonably well. (REMINDER: For those who haven't
finished your reviews of software sent months and months ago,
this last sentence does not apply to you!)  As a result, I am
continuing this new method to find reviewers using this e-
mail/user group system.  I reserve the right to abandon this if
it is a problem, or inappropriate.  I will not notify people if I
have found a reviewer.  If you don't hear from me within a few
days I have chosen someone else to review the particular package.

     As I get many, many, (too many) replies to this message,
please do not respond after 28 February 1997 (Friday), as I am
sure the software will be gone by then.

     I can be reached on Internet ([email-masked]).

     PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE AN STREET ADDRESS, PHONE, and FAX
NUMBER!!!  (I send the software by Federal Express.)  Without
this information I WILL NOT consider your request.

     Steve Heller

The packages I now have are:

1. ChemSymphony from Cherwell Scientific.  This is a JAVA program
requiring either Netscape 3 or Explorer 3.  ChemSymphony is a set
of JAVA applets that allows 3-D molecular structures to be easily
incorporated into HMTL documents.  The system understand most of
the common file formats.  The structures can be manipulated in real
time, rendered in a variety of styles, and edited by the user.  The
person selected to do the review will receive the software via e-
mail.

2. Accord for Microsoft Access, Windows version.  This is Synopsys'
new chemical spreadsheet package.   Chemical properties can be
calculated by linking an Accord function to a database field
containing a chemical object.

3. EndNote Plus from Niles & Associates.  This is version 2.3 for
WordPerfect 6.1 and Microsoft Word 97. EndNote is a bibliographic
database program used to manage references and create
bibliographies.

Steve Heller, USDA, ARS, Plant Genome Project
Bldg. 005, Room 337
Beltsville, MD 20705-2350 USA
Phone: 301-504-6055   FAX: 301-504-6231
E-mail:  [email-masked]
WWW:     www.hellers.com/~steve