Subject: G94 on LINUX

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 97 13:26:55 EST

Dear Members of CCL:
  Last week I posed a question about problems compiling G94.D4 on
RedHat Linux 4.0.  I have had a number of interesting replies which
I plan to summarize.  But I still have a problem.
  Gaussian, Inc. wrote me to suggest a hardware problem.  It turns
out this this is quite likely the actual problem.  But how to fix?
  It seems that I have a faulty memory chip.  My computer, a Gateway
P6 has 64 Mbytes of new memory.  The machine says all is ok on boot-
up.  But I have random problems with the C-compiler quitting.
So maybe there is a memory problem.  Gaussian suggested removing
or switching memory.  Now it appear I can compile the program
with only 2x16 Mbytes of memory.
  So the question is, how does one test memory?  OK, the computer
thinks the memory is ok.  But all the boot-up test is doing is
writing 1, 0 into memory and then seeing if it is still there
in a few microseconds.  But it would seem that to compile and run
a big FORTRAN program, one would be interested in having this
same test performed 10 seconds later.  How then does one test the
long-term refresh function of big memory blocks?
  Regards, Dave Close.