Subject: MPEG files

From: S Parthiban <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 13:44:08 -0500 (GMT)

Dear Netters:
I would appreciate receiving ftp sites...from where i would like to
download the MPEG files related to chemistry..
Thanks in advance
parthi

---

From: Leif Laaksonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 17:31:42 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

I have a collection of some animations of my own and from CSC and a lot of
links further at:

http://www.csc.fi/lul/chem/graphics.html

Regards,

-leif laaksonen

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, S Parthiban wrote:

> -------This is added Automatically by the Software--------
> -- Original Sender Envelope Address: [email-masked]
> -- Original Sender From: Address: [email-masked]
> [email-masked]: Everybody | [email-masked]: Coordinator
> [email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH | Gopher: www.ccl.net 73
> Anon. ftp: www.ccl.net   | [email-masked] -- archive search
>              Web: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html 
> 
> 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Leif Laaksonen                     |  
Center for Scientific Computing    | Phone:      358 9 4572378
P.O. Box 405                       | Mobile:     358 400425203
FIN-02101 Espoo                    | Telefax:    358 9 4572302
FINLAND                            | Mail:  [email-masked]
-------- URL: http://laaksonen.csc.fi/leif.laaksonen.html ---------

---

From: "Rzepa, Henry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 18:57:03 GMT

>download the MPEG files related to chemistry..

We were keen on MPEG around 1992, but abandoned it
largely in favour of hyperactive molecules;
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/chemime/
where the user can experiment with the data, rather than having
a predetermined view imposed upon them.
Might  I highlite the work of a colleague, Arie Aizman, and
his work on symmetry which exemplifies perfectly why we
abandoned MPEG in favour of richer formats;

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/vchemlab/symmetry/

and in particular the molecular vibrations section.

For more complex surfaces (ie  MOs, ESPs etc etc),
one would use  VRML instead of MPEG.

Perhaps the simplest concept which explains why MPEG
is not promoted is that it cannot be easily indexed!  Molfiles,
PDB files, VRML files etc are all more easily indexed than
MPEG.

Dr Henry Rzepa,  Dept. Chemistry,  Imperial College,  LONDON SW7 2AY;
[email-masked]; Tel  (44) 171 594 5774; Fax: (44) 171 594 5804.
URL: http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/