Subject: Re: CCL:HYDRATED METAL IONS

From: [email-masked] (Eberhard von Kitzing)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 10:41:40 +0100

At 15:33 Uhr 06.03.1997, <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I HAVE A COLLEAGUE WORKING ON AN ION CONDUCTING CHANNEL AND IS REQUESTING INFO
>ON 'EFFECTIVE' HYDRATED ION SIZE. ANY TAKERS FOR A SUITABLE REFERENCE ?

The classical reference is:
E. R. Nightingale Jr. (1959). "Phenomenological Theory of Ion Solvation.
Effective Radii of Hydrated Ions." Journal of Physical Chemistry [#361]
63(9) 1381-1387.

One can also use the result of Adams et al and interpolate:
David J. Adams, Terry M. Dwyer and Bertil Hille (1980). "The Permeability
of Endplate Channels to Monovalent and Divalent Metal Cations." The Journal
of General Physiology 75 493-510.

An alternative source for alkali metal ions is:
Dikeos Mario Soumpasis, Michel Robert-Nicoud and Thomas M. Jovin (1987).
"B-Z DNA conformational transition in 1:1 electrolytes: dependence upon
counter-ion size." Letters of the Federation of European Biochemical
Societies [#481] 213(2) 341-344.

======================================================================

Eberhard von Kitzing

Max-Planck-Institut fuer Medizinische Forschung
Jahnstr. 29
D 69115 Heidelberg
Germanny

email: [email-masked]
WWW: http://sunny.mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de/people/vkitzing/Eberhard.html