Subject: Summary os SGI printers

From: Antonio Entrena Guadix <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 12:49:35 -0800

Hello to all:

	Yesterday I posted the following question:

	"I am interesting in printers for a SGI workstation that can be used to
print both text and graphics, prefereably in color, and no too
expensive. The main use for this printer is to generate graphics of
molecules calculated with Sybyl.

        Can anyone indicate to me some model(s) which give good results?

        Thanks to all".

	I have received some responses:

**************************
 From: Ken Fountain <[email-masked]>

Hi,
When you find the answer to tnhis question please send it to me also.

Sincerely, Ken Fountain

***************************
  From: Barbara Murray <[email-masked]>

I have an HP Deskjet 1600CM connected to my RISC6000 and plan to hook
one to my SGI's soon.  It does both text and graphics and is easy and
cheap to use.  The color graphics are pretty good; not as sharp as a
laser printer or thermal wax but the price is MUCH better-- around
$2000.
--
***********************************************************************
From: Alexander Backes <[email-masked]> 

Hi there!

To print on a SGI workstation you need a postscript printer, which is
suitable for both text and graphics.
We use a Hewlett-Packard HP1200C, an ink jet printer (color), which
works fine with our SGI workstations.
This model is not available any more, but the new one is the HP1600CM
printer. Check the HP-Homepage for further information:
http://www2.hp.com
-- 
************************************************************************
From: Paul Heelis <[email-masked]> 

Hi,
you can use a HP560C, but you need the impressario package to get the
printer drivers.

Paul

-- 
************************************************************************
From: [email-masked] 

Just buy an Inkjet (such as HP 660c or ....) and install two queues, one
with
ghostscript as a filter.

Robert
-- 
************************************************************************
From: "Venegas, Ruben" <[email-masked]> 

Hi Antonio:
I can tell which one not to buy: Kodax XLS-8000 family... They are not
good...and they are expensive... Look for the Tektronix line of
printers...
Ruben
-- 
************************************************************************
From: Jie Yuan <[email-masked]> 

-I am happy with my Epson Stylus Color which I bought 2 years ago.  Now
Epson has come up with 1440x720 dpi printers (ESC 600 and 800).  If I
were
you, I'd buy the ESC800 ($445, mail order).  Since this printer is new,
driver software may be difficult to come by.  SGI's Impressario supports
the 720 dpi printer.  It probably will work for the 1440x720 dpi
printer.
I know EasySoft (www.easysw.com) sells printer software for SGI but I
did
not need it.

HP's 870 inkjets are 600 dpi.  The resolution is not as great as the
Epson, but it is reasonably good.  HP's speed is faster.  You will face
the same driver software problems.  HP's cartridges are very difficult
to
refill, in case you are interested in refills.  HP is quieter.

Regards,

Jie
- 
************************************************************************
	Many thank to all, specially to Ken Fountain who has the same problem.

	Best regards

	A. Entrena

- 
**************************************************************************
Dr. Antonio Entrena Guadix		Phone:	(34)-(9)58-243849
Departamento de Quimica Organica	Fax: 	(34)-(9)58-243845
Facultad de Farmacia			E-mail:	[email-masked]
Campus de Cartuja s/n				[email-masked]
18071 GRANADA (SPAIN)				
**************************************************************************