Subject: FYI:4th IASPM workshop (fwd)

From: Eugene Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 23:51:24 +0100 (MET)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 17:27:08 -0500
From: John A. Dagata <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 4th IASPM workshop

Request that you please post to SPM users group, noting internet link.
Thank you.
 
John Dagata
NIST

__________________________
Workshop Announcement
FOURTH WORKSHOP ON INDUSTRIAL APPLICATIONS OF SCANNED
PROBE MICROSCOPY

(Updates will be posted at:  http://www.nist.gov/mel/div821/iaspm4.htm)

May 6-8 1997
National Institute of Standards and Technology
Gaithersburg, MD

Sponsored by: NIST, SEMATECH, ASTM E-42, The American Vacuum Society*
*Nanometer-scale Science & Technology Division
 
ORGANIZING COMMITTEE 
John Dagata, NIST - Gaithersburg
Rich Colton, Naval Research Laboratory
Alain Diebold, SEMATECH
Ken Shih, University of Texas at Austin

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
Jason Schneir, Tencor Instruments; John Moreland, NIST-Boulder; Greg Meyers,
Dow Chemical; Lori Goldner, NIST-Gaithersburg; Herschel Marchman, Texas
Instruments.

WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION: This meeting explores recent progress toward meeting
standardization and development needs in scanned probe microscopy relevant
to industrial applications.  Summary reports on the first two IASPM
workshops are available as NISTIR #5550 (December 1994) and NIST #5752 (
November 1995).  A report for the third workshop is in preparation.

Sessions will present industry overviews of SPM applications in
Semiconductor, Polymers & Coatings, and Magnetic Data Storage areas.
Highlights include talks on critical dimension metrology,
chemical-mechanical planarization, magnetic and optical disk tribology,
quantitative aspects of magnetic, electrical, and optical imaging modes,
progress on tip modeling, and novel developments in the use of SPMs in
biology and device fabrication.

POSTER PRESENTATIONS: Oral presentations will be short and narrowly focused.
Poster  sessions are an effective means for promoting information exchange
and informal discussion among workshop participants. Everyone  attending the
meeting is strongly encouraged to contribute a poster  presentation on any
relevant SPM or related topic. It is our  intention to schedule an hour or
more during each of the session  breaks for poster viewing and informal
discussion.  Two-page extended abstracts prepared in camera-ready form for
all  invited talks and poster session presentations are due by April 4 1997,
for inclusion in the technical program. Text should be  arranged in a
single-column format, with at least one-inch borders  on all sides. Figures
may be included. The technical program will  be distributed at the workshop.
Please send extended abstracts to:   

John A. Dagata National Institute of Standards and
Technology Bldg. 220, Rm. A117 Gaithersburg MD
20899-0001 Telephone: (301) 975-3597 Fax: (301)
869-0822 email: [email-masked]
 
PRELIMINARY AGENDA 
=====
Day 1 May 6 1997

8:00 AM Registration 
8:30 AM Welcome/Opening Remarks

Session I:	INDUSTRIAL APPLICATION OVERVIEWS

Overview of Semiconductor Litho-metrology (Herschel Marchman, Texas Instruments)
Overview of SPM in the Data Storage Industry (TBA)
Break/Poster Presentations 
Mechanical Property Measurements Using Modulation Techniques (Nancy Burnham,
EPFL, Switzerland) 
Lunch

Session II:	INDUSTRY FOCUS AND DISCUSSION SESSIONS

A.  Polymers & Coatings Session (Chair: Rich Colton, NRL)
(organizers: Rich Colton, NRL, and Greg Meyers, Dow Chemical)
SPM Applications in the Paper and Electronics Packaging Industry, (Bill
Unertl, Univ. Maine)
SPM of Optical Disk Media (William Morris, GE Corporate R&D)
Coating & Surface Finish (Jeff Payne, 3M Corporate Analytical Technology
Center) 

B.  Magnetic Disk Recording Session (Chair and Organizer: John Moreland, NIST)
Applications of AFM and MFM in the Disk Storage Industry (Ken Babcock,
Digital Instruments)
Magnetoresistance Sensitivity Mapping of Active Sensors at the Wafer Level
(Darrell R. Louder, Seagate Technologies)
Head Flatness (Pete Hopkins, Quantum) 	
Head Sliders and Magnetic Disk Applications  (Sean Corcoran, Hysitron)

C.  Semiconductors (Chair:  Alain Diebold, Sematech; Organizer: Jason Schneir, 
Tencor Instruments)
Metalization Chemical-mechanical Planarization (Janos Farkas, Motorola)
Roughness Measurements in Process Control (Jason Schneir, Tencor Instruments)
AFM Measurement of Surface Area of LPCVD Rugged Polysilicon (Yale Strausser,
Digital Instruments)
CD SEM (Lumdas Saraf, Sematech)

Break/Poster Presentations
DISCUSSION 

EVENING: WELCOMING RECEPTION - GAITHERSBURG HILTON 7:00 PM
====
Day 2 May 7 1997

AM	 
Session III:	PROGRESS ON STANDARDS, QUANTITATIVE MEASUREMENTS, AND
INTERPRETATION (Chair: Ken Shih, University of Texas, Austin)
Dimensional Measurements
	Tip Modeling (John Villarrubia, NIST)
	Data Analysis Intercomparison (Hal Edwards, Texas Instrument)
	European SPM Calibration Network (Guenter Wilkening, PTB, Germany)
Quantitative Measurement and Interpretation
	Understanding Phase-contrast Imaging (Sergei Maganov, Digital Instruments)	
	Polymer SPM: Quantification & Industrial Applications (Rene Overney, Univ.
Washington)
Break/Poster Presentations
Progress on Electrical, Optical, Magnetic Measurements
	NSOM (Lori Goldner, NIST)
	SCM Measurement and Modeling (Jay  Marchiando, NIST) 
	Comparison of MFM/SEMPA Results (Paul Rice & Michael Kelley, NIST)

Lunch

PM 
Session IV:	THE STANDARDS DEVELOPMENT PROCESS (Overview: John Dagata, NIST)
DISCUSSION OF SPM STANDARDS DEVELOPMENT NEEDS

EVENING: ASTM E42.14 MEETING - Gaithersburg Hilton
====
Day 3 May 8 1997

AM	
Session V: NEW INSTRUMENTATION AND TECHNIQUES
Accurate Force Measurements (Lowell Howard, NIST)
Rocking-beam Method (Joe Griffith, Lucent)
Needle-sensor Method (Paul West, TopoMetrix)
Break/Poster Presentations
Biological Applications of NSOM (Michael Edidin & Jeeseong Hwang, JHU/NIST)
Fast Probing of IC circuits (Sam Hou, Park Scientific)
SPM Device Fabrication (Eric Snow, NRL)

WRAP-UP DISCUSSION

ADJOURN
====

LOCATION: National Institute of Standards and Technology,  Administration
Building (101), Green Auditorium, Gaithersburg,  Maryland. Gaithersburg is
located approximately 20 miles north of  Washington, D.C.

REGISTRATION:  The registration fee of $150 includes a welcoming  reception,
coffee breaks, lunches, workshop materials, and a copy  of the Workshop
Summary Report. The enclosed registration card must  be received by April
18, 1997, for your name to appear on the  preliminary participants' list.
Request for cancellation and refund  must be submitted to Lori Phillips, in
writing, prior to April 18,  1997.    

ACCOMMODATIONS: A block of rooms has been reserved at the Gaithersburg
Hilton, (301) 977-8900. The special workshop rate is $92, single  or double,
plus 12% tax. To register for rooms, please send the  enclosed hotel
reservation card directly to the hotel no later than  April 11, 1997. After
that date the rooms will be released for  general sale at the prevailing
rates of the hotel. Reservations  must be canceled before 4 p.m. on the
arrival date. Check-in time  is 3 p.m.; check-out time is 1 p.m.  
 
TRANSPORTATION:
BWI Super Shuttle (301) 369-0009, offers commercial van  service from
Baltimore-Washington Airport to the Gaithersburg  area.  Crystal Airport
Shuttle, (301) 972-2222, is available from  Dulles International and
Washington National Airports to  Gaithersburg. Call for reservations.    The
Washington Metro has subway service to  Gaithersburg. The Metro System can
be boarded at Washington  National Airport. Take the Yellow Line train
marked "Mount Vernon  Square" to Gallery Place. Transfer to a Red Line train
marked  "Shady Grove" to the Shady Grove station in Gaithersburg. Taxis are
available from the Metro to the hotel by calling Action Taxi at  (301)
840-1222.  A NIST shuttle van for official visitors operates from the Shady
Grove metro station to NIST. The van leaves the Shady Grove station  on the
quarter and three-quarter hour (e.g. 8:15, 8:45, . . .4:45,  5:15) from the
west side "Kiss and Ride" parking lot.  A hotel van is available from the
Gaithersburg Hilton to NIST each  day. Please request this service at the
hotel front desk at  check-in. Parking at NIST may be limited. Attendees are
encouraged  to use this van service.

RECEPTION: An evening reception with a buffet-style dinner will be held at
the Gaithersburg Hilton on Tuesday evening, May 6 1997 from 7:00-9:30 PM.  
 
TECHNICAL INFORMATION: John Dagata NIST Telephone: (301) 975-3597 Fax:
(301) 869-0822 e-mail: [email-masked]

REGISTRATION INFORMATION: Lori Phillips NIST Telephone: (301)
975-4513 Fax: (301) 948-2067 e-mail: [email-masked]