Subject: ANNOUNCE: VMD 1.2b1 (molecular visualization)

From: Andrew Dalke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 20:11:13 -0600

Hello,

  We would like to announce a new version of VMD, a molecular
visualization and analysis program.  This is version 1.2b1 and is the
first version that can run with OpenGL and on non-SGIs.  For more
information about VMD see its home page at
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/ or the ftp site at
ftp://ftp.ks.uiuc.edu/pub/mdscope/vmd/ .

  VMD comes with complete source (no license or fee needed) as well as
procompiled binaries for IRIX 5.x/6.x (based on GL), HP-UX 9/10 (based
on Mesa/OpenGL), and Linux (based on Mesa/OpenGL).

The web page describes many of its capabilities, but the ones I think
are of key interest to this list are that VMD:

  Implements most standard representation methods
  Animate trajectories, including DCD and Amber files as well as ... 
  Gaussian output (and others) automatically translated by Babel
  Outputs to VRML, POV-Ray, Raster3D, Radiance, Postscript and others
  Extensive Tcl-based scripting language for molecular analysis

If there are questions about VMD, please send them to us at
[email-masked].  

						Andrew Dalke
						[email-masked]