Subject: Re:drawings

From: [email-masked] (STEPHEN ANDRUSKI)
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 08:41:53 -0500

There are lots of programs out there if you look around, but finding 
     something that makes nice vector images is difficult.  The commercial 
     program "Nemesis" from Oxford Molecular will give Windows Meta Files 
     (WMF) directly off the Windows clipboard.  I don't know if it runs 
     under NT though. PCModel for Windows will produce ORTEP or PLUTO 
     drawings and save them as HPGL files, but I've found the 
     implementation buggy.
     
     Your best bet is probably ORTEP-III.  I believe that there is a 
     Windows NT version available through the ORTEP-III site at:
     
     http://www.ornl.gov/ortep/ortep.html
     
     There is also a somewhat better GUI implementation "ORTEP-III for 
     Windows" at:
     
     http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~louis/ortep3/
     
     I run this under Windows 95 but I haven't tried it under NT.  With 
     ORTEP you will be able to produce HPGL files and using the appropriate 
     software, convert them into any other vector format or use them 
     directly.  ORTEP-III for Windows will read in XYZ files directly.  You 
     can change ellipse types and bond types individually or globally and 
     get very nice drawings this way.
     
     Hope this helps.  I'd be interested in any other programs that you 
     find.
     
     Dr. Stephen W. Andruski
     FMC Corporation
     [email-masked]