Subject: Molecular modeling kits (Was: dreiding models)

From: [email-masked] (Gabriel Berriz)
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 00:23:11 -0400

From: "ROBERT NICHOLSON" <[email-masked]>
   Sender: Computational Chemistry List <[email-masked]>

   ANYBODY OUT THERE KNOW OF UK OR USA SUPPLIERS OR EUROPEAN SUPPLIERS OF 
   DREIDING MODELS

Now that I have been enlightened about Dreiding models, thanks to
helpful CCL readers, I'll use Robert Nicholson's query as point of
departure for my own.  (I have hesitated to ask until now, on the
grounds that the topic is not cutting-edge, high-tech computer stuff,
but old-fashioned, low-tech physical models, but, I suppose there are
others like me, for whom Quanta, Rasmol, Xmol, &c., are not quite
enough).

I have been looking for a while for molecular building kits (like
Dreiding models) but specialized for polypeptide chains.  Any
suggestions?  In his comprehensive book on proteins, Creighton
recommends the so-called "Nicholson components" (any relation to
Robert Nicholson? :-) ) as particularly good for modeling proteins,
and gives a supplier (Labquip, in the UK).  I have contacted Labquip,
but so far they have not confirmed whether they still sell these
models (I think we can at least say that they are not the hottest
selling item among their offerings).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Gabriel Berriz
[email-masked]
Dept. of Chemistry and Chemical Biology
Harvard University
12 Oxford St,
Cambridge, MA  02138  USA