Subject: Job openings - Senior Technical and Business Directors

From: "Rich Lysakowski, Ph.D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 03:10:03 -0400

TeamScience and the Collaborative Electronic Notebook Systems Association
(CENSA) are expanding their technical and business staffs.  We have
openings for two senior professionals described below.  Please reply to the
e-mail address or phone number given below.  A description of TeamScience
and CENSA follow.

SENIOR TECHNICAL PROJECT DIRECTOR (Project Leader and Manager)

You will lead and manage technical programs and projects for the company.
At different times, you will function as a program director and project
manager, technology analyst, systems analyst, software engineer, and
high-level designer.  You will use your strong insight and knowledge of
several types of systems to drive new development projects, including
groupware, document management, electronic recordkeeping and records
management systems, systems design, networked client/server data systems,
and application integration tools.

RESPONSIBILITIES:  Planning, scheduling, managing technical and
nontechnical projects and people; managing project phases and review
processes; understanding and driving technical issues to resolution;
delivering projects per schedule, budget and specification.  Managing
externally funded projects.   Leading multicompany teams of people who are
specifying systems and components, and then selecting vendors, and jointly
building, testing, deploying, and reporting on systems for quality of fit
to needs.  Handling communications with member companies' technologists and
third-party vendor engineering and marketing teams over which you have no
formal control is an important part of the job.

EXPERTISE, SKILLS, AND PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE:  Strong software engineering and
management knowledge and skills in several of the following areas are
required:
· excellent written and verbal communication skills;
· project management, and process management methods and tools;
· familiarity with all phases of software engineering and systems analysis
lifecycle for product development, including formal requirements analysis
and function point analysis methods;
· strong skills writing formal technical specifications: requirements
documents, functional specifications, high-level design specifications, and
testing and validation specifications;
· strong conceptualization skills: to design distributed architectures and
interfaces, and do object-oriented analysis and design (high-level design;
may be some detailed design)
· tools and methodologies; SQL database application design, software coding;
· automated client/server system testing and validation tools;
· software development tools (e.g., Oracle Developer 2000, Visual Basic,
Visual C/C++/J++, Java, System Architect, other similar products);
· product knowledge of base platforms for doc. mgmt, groupware, WWW,
electronic records and related systems (e.g., NetScape SuiteSpot,
Documentum, Interleaf, Digital's LinkWorks, Lotus Notes, Adra/Matrix,
NovaSoft's NovaManage, Novell SoftSolutions, etc.);
· recent software programming (coding) experience with tools such as C++,
Java, Visual Basic, ActiveX, CORBA, or other object standards not required,
but will be very helpful in design work and in interacting with programmers
on vendor teams;
· prefer someone with science background, preferably biology and/or
chemistry training;  Direct chemical or pharmaceutical R&D laboratory
experience will make your job easier;
· strong business experience and knowing how to handle vendor issues
gracefully and fairly is important;
· vendor-independence, neutrality, and unbiased interaction skills are
important;
· must perform multi-tasking well; must work well and contribute as a team
member is key.

WORK DIRECTION:  The Senior Technical Director works with and under the
direction of the Chief Executive Officer, who indicates general
assignments, limitations, and priorities.  You will independently perform
recurring assignments such as conducting technical meetings, writing
minutes, and communicating with customers.  Some administrative support
will be available to assist you.

AVAILABILITY FOR EMPLOYMENT:  Must be available immediately for onsite
work.  Full-time within 6 months, could be part-time (3/4 FTE+) time for
the first few months.  Not available to consultants.

SALARY RANGE:  $65,000 to $95,000+ per year compensation.  Salary depends
on experience, qualifications, skills and motivation you bring to the job.
Stock options or other ownership options would be made available to the
right person with the appropriate level of commitment.

============================================================
SENIOR BUSINESS DIRECTOR (Manager and Planner)

You will lead and manage business programs for the company.   Your business
management and planning responsibilities will include:

· plan and execute business projects, and synchronize business and
technical projects;
· lead vendor evaluation and selection processes (see below);
· work with Marketing Communications to design and implement sales and
marketing programs to attract new members and vendors;
· analyze businesses to understand the impact of various technology and
service markets (vendors, product types, projects, etc.) on the marketplace
and on the systems with which the company works directly to develop;
· perform cost-oriented workflow analysis studies as part of implementation
and pilot projects;
· oversee Sales, Marketing, and Marketing Communications Manager(s);
· work with Finance Manager on budget planning; you will be expected to
help the organization stay within budget and expense goals.

VENDOR EVALUATION AND SELECTION:  You will be responsible for managing the
vendor business interactions and selection processes, including: 
· establishing and agreeing upon criteria for qualified vendors;
· working out a vendor selection process acceptable to member companies;
· meeting the schedule for vendor selection;
· co-developing materials for vendor invitations and descriptive materials;
· negotiating deals and contracts with vendors;
· administrating contracts with vendors until they are complete;
· delivering projects per schedule, budget and specification; and 
· experiences and relationships with specific vendors and the technologies
listed below are a big plus.

KNOWLEDGE OF SPECIFIC TECHNOLOGIES AND PRODUCTS:  Familiarity and working
knowledge of several of the following technologies and products will be
important to you in your job.  The ability to pick up additional ones
quickly is important.
· Groupware, document and workflow management, and collaborative computing
tools (e.g., NetScape SuiteSpot, Documentum's EDMS, Lotus Notes,
Interleaf's Business/Web, Microsoft Exchange and IIS, Oracle Interoffice
and Universal Server, Ventana Systems, PictureTel videoconferencing,
similar products);
· World Wide Web and Internet protocols (http, HTML, LDAP, IIOP, etc.);
· Electronic recordkeeping and records management systems and applications;
· Middleware and systems integration tools (e.g., CORBA, LDAP, DCE, RDA,
etc.);
· Lab automation and robotics, LIMS, instrument interfacing; 
· System validation and testing tools;
· Chemical, biotechnology and materials information management systems from
various vendors (e.g., CAS, MDL, Beilstein, Daylight, Synopsis, Oxford
Molecular's, MAG's, other); and
· Combinatorial chemistry and synthesis; high throughput screening
technologies and software.

WORK DIRECTION:  The Senior Business Director works with and under the
direction of the Chief Executive Officer, who indicates general
assignments, limitations, and priorities.  You will independently perform
recurring assignments such as conducting business meetings, writing
minutes, and communicating with customers.  Some administrative support
will be available to assist you.

EXPECTATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT:  The position requires full-time employment
now, but could be part-time down to 3/4 time for the first few months.  The
position is not available to contractors.  Stock options or other corporate
ownership options may be available to the right person with the appropriate
level of commitment and motivation.

SALARY RANGE:  $65,000 to $95,000+ per year compensation.  Salary depends
on experience, qualifications, skills and motivation you bring to the job.
Stock options or other ownership options would be made available to the
right person with the appropriate level of commitment.

Please send resume or contact:

TeamScience, Inc., 800 West Cummings Park, Suite 5400, Woburn, MA 01801 USA, 
Phone: 617-935-9600; 617-935-3113: E-mail: [email-masked]

TeamScience is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

TeamScience, Inc. - the Market Catalyst Company

TeamScience is an international automation market catalyst company
dedicated to bringing innovative products to market through a variety of
research, engineering, training, publishing and capital investment
programs.  Our programs make individuals and companies more effective at
discovery, development and commercialization of new drugs, chemical,
biotech and related products.  The company's core technical competencies
are scientific R&D, technical, laboratory, and office automation software
and hardware.

The Collaborative Electronic Notebook Systems Association (CENSA) and
Consortium

TeamScience is currently managing a consortium project for the
Collaborative Electronic Notebook Systems Association (CENSA).  CENSA is an
international trade association driving the convergence of several
automation technologies simultaneously, including groupware, electronic
document, records and data management systems, laboratory automation
systems, the World Wide Web, handheld computers, and wireless networks.
The Collaborative Electronic Notebook Systems (CENS) Consortium is a
two-year project designed to bring the first full-function electronic
notebook systems for scientists working in collaborative R&D environments
to market.  The CENSA trade association is now establishing programs for
market and technology analysis, end user and vendor trainings, an industry
newsletter, and member exchange forums.  Interested parties should send
inquiries to [email-masked].