Subject: HyperChem and Conjugate Gradient Search Methods

From: patrick kane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:22:47 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

 Page 213 of the HyperChem, version 4 manual states that with conjugate 
gradient search methods, a descent direction (to lower energy) is chosen 
by consdering [among other things - my brackets] the conjugate of the 
gradient which is initially the negative of the current gradient.

 Could someone please tell me what is meant by the CONJUGATE of a gradient.

 THanks in response for your replies.

 Rgds,
 Paddy.

*************************************************************************
*									*
*	Paddy Kane 			email: [email-masked]    * 
* 	School of Chemical Sciences 	  				*
*	Dublin City University 		  Tel: 00-353-1-7045641		*
*	Dublin 9			  				*
*	Ireland.			  Fax: 00-353-1-7045503		*
*									*
*************************************************************************