Subject: Chemistry Software and Information Resources (CSIR)

From: "\"David E. Bernholdt\" <\"David E. Bernholdt\""<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:46:14 -0400

We are pleased to announce a new web-based service...

	     Chemistry Software and Information Resources
			 http://www.csir.org

CSIR (pronounced caesar) is an information resource for chemistry
software, its development, and its use (in the broadest sense). It
brings together a great deal of information scattered across the
Internet, often hard to find and use, and makes it easily available to
anyone with a web browser, at no charge.

--------
FEATURES
--------
* Chemistry Software Exchange -- A catalog of commercial and
  non-commercial software for chemists.  Includes links to software
  available on the Internet, and contact info for commercial offerings.
  Submissions welcome.

* AskNPAC Chemistry Mailing List Archive -- Browse or search a large
  selection of chemistry-related mailing lists and newsgroups.  Search
  any combination of lists for mail header (sender, date, etc.), URLs,
  or general text.

* Links to other chemistry software information (coming soon).

-----------------------------------------
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS ABOUT CSIR
-----------------------------------------
* Poster COMP 193 at ACS meeting in San Francisco, at Sci-Mix session
  (Monday 8pm, Moscone Center, Exhibit Hall D), and COMP session
  (Tuesday 7pm, San Francisco Marriott, Salon 7, Lower B-2 Level)

* Trends in Analytical Chemistry article at
	http://www.elsevier.nl/inca/homepage/saa/trac/resource.htm 
  (also to appear in print version of TrAC)

----------------------
INTERNET ACCESS POINTS
----------------------
CSIR home page: http://www.csir.org
CSIR Software Exchange Submissions:
	http://www.csir/org/catalog/chemistry/contribute.html
Comments and suggestions to: [email-masked]

----------------
MORE INFORMATION
----------------
Chemistry Software Exchange

Right now we have about 140 software packages cataloged in the
repository.  That's clearly that's just a fraction of what's out
there, and what we do have now is pretty cursory -- meant to give
people the idea of what we're intending to do.  We'd like to make this
"the" resource for anyone looking for chemistry-related software, so
we need your help to expand our holdings.  If you're a software
developer, please submit your software to CSIR.  If you're a software
user, tell us about your favorite packages (with as much contact
information as you can provide on the supplier).  The web pages have
forms with the information we need. We want to keep the catalog
information technical rather than ad material. Catalog entries can
include contact information links to your own web site where you can
do whatever advertising you please.  Also for software developers: we
can act as an additional distribution point or archive location for
your software.

AskNPAC Chemistry Mailing List Archive

The idea here is to collect in a single place a rather substantial
body of information about chemistry-related software, its use, and
about chemistry in general which is presently widely scattered across
the Internet. In this way, we hope to make it easier to find and use.

CSIR subscribes to more than 90 mailing lists, of which 60 appear to
be active.  We have more than 75,000 messages in the archive,
representing the better part of a year's worth of traffic.  Soon we
will be adding "back issues" of mailing lists, where they are available.

Information is available on all of the lists CSIR subscribes to, and
if you're aware of anything we don't carry we'd love to hear about it.

Relationship to Existing Resources

CSIR's goal is to make existing resources easier to find and use, not
to compete with them. Software developers can only benefit from
listing their software in the catalog, where others might discover it
suits their needs.  We _can_ act as an additional distribution point
for software, but it is not necessary in order to have a catalog
listing.  Similarly for mailing lists, we merely make it easier for
readers to access existing mailing lists.  We do not encourage
non-subscribers to post to lists, and CSIR itself provides no mechanism
to do so.  We do provide complete information about how to subscribe
to every list in the archive.

CSIR is a free service, brought to you by the Northeast Parallel
Architectures Center (http://www.npac.syr.edu) at Syracuse University
and the National HPCC Software Exchange (http://www.nhse.org). We
welcome your feedback on the service and ideas for improvement.

NOTE: If your web browser complains that www.csir.org "does not have a
DNS entry" or "was not found" (as opposed to "did not respond"), it
may be because the browser was too impatient to wait for the DNS
lookup to complete (csir.org is relatively new and probably is not
widely cached in DNS servers yet).  Often if you try exactly the same
URL again, it will be successful.  This "trick" applies to many
relatively new sites, not just CSIR.

Best regards,
David Bernholdt, for the CSIR project		[email-masked]