Subject: Software for review

From: "Stephen R. Heller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 11:14:44 -0400 (EDT)

April 28, 1997

Subject:  Computer Software for Review

     As the Software Review Editor for the ACS Journal of
Chemical Information and Computer Science (JCICS) I often get
software for review in the journal.   I have six (6) new software
products. I am looking for some people who are willing to review
these software products.  In return for the review which is
published in JCICS you get to keep the software or database.  The
review should be completed in 1-3 months.  The length of the
review is 4-10 double spaced typed pages.  Sample reviews can be
found in most of the recent issues of JCICS.

     Please try to give me some (short) reason to choose you over
another person. 

     I have tried this approach for about the past four years and
it is working reasonably well. (REMINDER: For those who haven't
finished your reviews of software sent months and months ago,
this last sentence does not apply to you!)  As a result, I am
continuing this new method to find reviewers using this e-
mail/user group system.  I reserve the right to abandon this if
it is a problem, or inappropriate.  I will not notify people if I
have found a reviewer.  If you don't hear from me within a few
days I have chosen someone else to review the particular package.

     As I get many, many, (too many) replies to this message,
please do not respond after 30 April 1997 (Wednesday), as I am
sure the software will be gone by then.

     I can be reached on Internet ([email-masked]).

     PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE AN STREET ADDRESS, PHONE, and FAX
NUMBER!!!  (I send the software by Federal Express.)  Without
this information I WILL NOT consider your request.

     Steve Heller

The packages I now have are:

1. The Merck Index (12 ed.) on CD-ROM (Windows version) from
Chapman & Hall. (A Macintosh version should be along soon, so a
second person may want to offer to review that one.)

2. Modelmaker 3.0 from Cherwell Scientific.  This a simulation
modeling software package for Windows 95 and Windows NT.   This
version includes powerful model development tools, such as sub-
models and arrays of components and more model analysis
capabilities, such as optimization using multiple datasets, and
Simplex and Marquardt optimization.

3.AccuModel, version 1.10 for windows 95 and Windows NT, from
MicroSimulations.  This is a powerful desktop modeling package.

4. Alchemy 2000, version 1.1, modeling software from Tripos.  The
package on CD-ROM includes ChemPrint Pro, SciProtien, SciQSAR,
SciPolymer, and SciLogP.

5. Kaleidagraph data analysis and graphing software from Synergy
Software.  This runs under Windows 95, NT and 3.11.

6. ProCite bibliographic reference manager software for Windows
from RSI.  Runs under Windows 3.1 or higher.

Steve Heller, USDA, ARS, Plant Genome Project
Bldg. 005, Room 337
Beltsville, MD 20705-2350 USA
Phone: 301-504-6055   FAX: 301-504-6231
E-mail:  [email-masked]
WWW:     www.hellers.com/steve