Subject: Course Announcement

From: "frosc000@goofy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 97 17:02:54 --0100

-- [ From: frosc000@goofy * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Hi, 

I'm forwarding this message on behalf of Peter Murray-Rust, the organizer
of this virtual course.

Christian Frosch

+++
Forwarded:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

           Scientific Information Components using Java and XML

                   An 8-week Virtual self-paced course

The world of Scientific and Technical publishing will be revolutionised by  
the new technologies  of Java and  XML. Java provides a rich, robust,
highly  structured language which supports the creation and transport of 
objects  over Intranets and the WWW. Many scientific sites are rapidly
converting to  Java.

XML, which has been developed in a largely virtual W3 project is the new
'extremely simple' dialect of  SGML for use on the WWW. XML combines
the  robustness, richness and precision of SGML with the ease  and 
ubiquity of  HTML. Microsoft and other major vendors have already 
committed to XML in  early releases  of their products.

XML, which is already a working language, has been designed for 
complete  interoperability with Java.  Knowledge of these languages will
soon
be an  essential for anyone involved in producing or using scientific 
information  over the WWW.

With no XML textbooks and few real-life courses how can YOU prepare
for  this revolution?  The answer is  VIRTUAL!

The VSMS has a history of innovation in technical and scientific education
and training and now offers a  customised package of CDROM and online
training  combining Java and XML. Your CDROM starts with  JUMBO,
the world's only XML  browser, and a class library of over 300 classes.
There are a very wide  range  of examples from several disciplines and
examples of how to extend  or modify Java classes to your  applications. 

Knowledge of Java is not a pre-requisite, but you will need basic
programming
skills.  You will build on the  60000+ lines of Java in JUMBO and much of 
the coursework can be done by analogy with existing 
examples.

Java-XML is not a correspondence course, but an on-line virtual community  
including experts from round the  globe. Each week you get assignments
which  are communally discussed and where students can  contribute as
much as gain.  The course can react to new developments which will occur
during the next  3  months and there is also scope for collaborative
projects. 
We particularly  welcome group applications from  organisations which,
besides attracting  discounts, can lead to in-house collaborations.

The cost for the package is 1000 GBP (300 GBP for academics).  Group 
and site  rates are available.  Every  member receives:

*	A CDROM at the start of the course (with JUMBO, sample code, XML 
    documents, etc.)
*	Weekly assignments (starting June 3 1997)
*	Exclusive membership of hypermail lists
*	Access to tutors and other students
*	A real-life launch in Nottingham (courtesy of SUN Microsystems)
*	Other benefits detailed on the WWW pages

Registration is virtual and organised by the Globewide Network Academy.  
All details, including registration,  JUMBO in action, examples of code, etc
 .  are at:

http://www.vsms.nottingham.ac.uk/vsms/java/

Peter Murray-Rust

The Virtual School of Molecular Sciences, Department of Pharmaceutical
Sciences, 
University of Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK. Fax: +44 (0) 115 951-5110 
e-mail: [email-masked]
http://www.vsms.nottingham.ac.uk/

+++

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Christian Frosch		[email-masked]
Institute of Toxicology	http://www.uni-mainz.de/~frosc000/STRU2.html
University of Mainz	              Phone: +49 6131 17 4387
Obere Zahlbacher Str. 67	Fax:   +49 6131 230506
55131 Mainz		Germany
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++