Subject: Substructure Searching in FileMaker Pro

From: JANET CICARIELLO-COOK 57165 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 10:53:43 -0500 (EST)

Hi everyone,

We use FileMaker Pro extensively, for example, storing structures and data 
related to a specific project. The one thing that our Chemists would like to be 
able to do is a substructure search of the molecules in the FileMaker Pro 
database. I know this cannot be done the same way as using the "Find" option to 
search for something in a data field. Does anyone have a workaround? Using 
other software (such as ChemFinder, etc)? Or via a script (FMPro and/or 
AppleScript)? I have thought about trying to write something (maybe an 
AppleScript???) to do the searches based on SMILES strings, but since SMILES 
strings are not unique I don't know if this would work. I should mention that 
the moleculess in the FileMaker Pro databases are all ChemDraw structures.

Thanks in advance for your help. I will summarize the responses to the list if 
anyone is interested.

Janet

*********************************************
*  Janet Cicariello-Cook, Ph.D.             *
*  Hoffmann-LaRoche, Inc.                   *
*  340 Kingsland St.                        *
*  Nutley, NJ 07110                         *
*  ph: (201) 235-7165                       *
*  fax: (201) 235-7292                      *
*  e-mail: [email-masked]  *
****************************************************