Subject: Re:Substructure Searching in FileMaker Pro

From: [email-masked] (STEPHEN ANDRUSKI)
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 09:13:51 -0500

Janet,
     
     You do not mention what platform you're running on.  I also do not 
     know much about the specific capabilities of FileMaker Pro, but here 
     is something to look into.  The Windows 95 version of ChemWindow (V5 
     is out or will be out very soon) is a fully OLE 2.0 compliant 
     application.  As such, programs that support this will allow you to 
     embed ChemWindow drawings into the files for other programs.  
     SoftShell has taken this a step further.  There are chemical functions 
     available to the OLE client which can be used to do things like 
     calculate the molecular weight of a compound in a drawing or do 
     substructure searching.  ChemWindow comes with several example 
     Microsoft Access databases which illustrate these OLE automation 
     features.  If you are on Windows 95 and FileMaker Pro can act as an 
     OLE client and access the OLE automation functions in ChemWindow then 
     that is an option.  If you're on Windows 95 and you're willing to 
     switch to MS Access then this is even easier.  If you're not on 
     Windows 95 then I'm afraid that this information is useless :)
     
     If you're interested in more information about ChemWindow e-mail 
     Rebecca Roseberry at SoftShell (now a division of BioRad).  Her e-mail 
     address is: [email-masked].  
     
     Steve Andruski
     FMC Corporation
     [email-masked]