Subject: FYI:File molecular-dynamics-news introduction (fwd)

From: Eugene Leitl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 18:30:14 +0200 (MET DST)

This is one list devoted to molecular dynamics I have been pointed to by 
a friendly CCL subscriber. Thanks! -- Eugene Leitl

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 17:24:34 +0100 (BST)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: File molecular-dynamics-news introduction

Welcome to the mailing list molecular-dynamics-news @ mailbase.ac.uk. 

This mailing list exists to facilitate communication among those interested in
experimental and theoretical molecular dynamics (in the sense of dynamical
studies of molecules, rather than classical dynamical simulations of
ensembles). The topics covered will include molecular collisions,
photodissociation processes, clusters and complexes, etc. etc.

The email list is coordinated by Jeremy Hutson, J.M.Hutson @ durham.ac.uk
It is associated with the (paper) newsletter Molecular Dynamics News, edited by
Enzo Aquilanti and Roger Anderson. However, you do not have to subscribe to the
paper version to be a member of the email list.

The list may be used for announcements of general interest to the community:
conference announcements, faculty and postdoctoral positions vacant, new
computer programs available etc. It is not intended that the email list should
replace the paper version of MDN for announcements of papers in the field.
 
If you have views on how the list should or should not be used, by all means 
send them to the list, and we can have a discussion on the topic. None of us 
wants to be swamped by "junk mail", but different people will certainly have 
different views on just what constitutes "junk mail".

If your registered email address fails to work at any time, I get error
messages. I like to keep such messages to a minimum, and they usually indicate
that the account no longer exists, so I remove any addresses that fail
repeatedly. Rather by definition, I can't notify you under these circumstances!
If your account keeps getting removed, this may be the reason: you can send me
a message at the address molecular-dynamics-news-request @ mailbase.ac.uk to
enquire.

If your email address changes, please remember to remove your old registration
(by sending a "leave" message from your old account, as described below) and
add your new address (by sending a "join" message from your new account).
Although I CAN add and remove registrations by hand, I shouldn't normally have
to, and will only do so if the usual mechanisms fail for some reason.

Please also remember that lots of people use the molecular-dynamics-news list 
as an "address book" of email addresses, so that it is to your advantage for it 
to contain your correct address.

The list is at present unmoderated: that is, anything you send will be
circulated to the list without being checked by a real person. This policy will
be reviewed from time to time.

To circulate an item to the list, just send it to the (Internet) email address:
molecular-dynamics-news @ mailbase.ac.uk

Please AVOID sending mailbase commands to this address, as they will be 
circulated to all the list members rather than acted upon.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

MAILBASE COMMANDS

Anyone may join this list, and membership of the list is completely independent 
of a subscription to the Molecular Dynamics News newsletter on paper.

To join the list, send a message to mailbase @ mailbase.ac.uk
containing a line (in the message text) that says something like

join molecular-dynamics-news Bill Clinton 

Similarly, you can remove your name from the list with a line that says:

leave molecular-dynamics-news 

To get a complete listing of the current membership, use the command

review molecular-dynamics-news

To get more information about the mailbase system itself, and all the useful 
information it contains, send one of the two lines:

send mailbase user-guide
send mailbase user-card

The user-card file is essentially a short version of the full user-guide.

Please note that all the above commands must be sent to 
mailbase @ mailbase.ac.uk  and NOT to molecular-dynamics-news @ mailbase.ac.uk
If you send them to the latter, they will be forwarded to everyone on the list!

 ...Jeremy Hutson     
updated 14 December 1994