Subject: Numerically Solving Partial Differential Equations

From: Gerald Loeffler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 14:09:44 +0200

Hi!

The Delphi program by Barry Honig and co-workers solves the
Poisson-Boltzmann equation (a partial differential equation in
3D-space)  by using a FINITE DIFFERENCE method.

I allways thought (without having considerable education in that field)
that such equations are best and quite easily solved by FINITE ELEMENT
methods.

Hence I wonder if someone could recommend a good, famous, concise book
that deals with the general issue of how to numerically solve partial
differential equations so that I better understand the rational behind
Delphi's implementation.

	Thanks a lot,
	gerald
-- 

Gerald Loeffler
PostDoc in Theoretical Biochemistry

EMail: [email-masked]
Phone: +43 1 79730 554
Fax:   +43 1 7987153
SMail: I.M.P. - Research Institute of Molecular Pathology
       Dr. Bohr-Gasse 7
       A-1030 Vienna
       AUSTRIA