Subject: fortran compilers and Linux

From: "Gustavo A. Mercier Jr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 13:15:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hi!

In the past the CCL has discussed fortran compilers for linux systems.
I have reviewed the archives, but I am interested on an update.

What are solid fortran77/90 compilers for a pentiumpro linux 2.x system?
Does anybody has any experience with NAS compilers?

In a lot of the benchmarks, it seems that QM calculations
show PPro boxes almost par with SGI r8000 boxes, but
for MD simulations PPro boxes are 2x slower. Does your experience
support this?

Also, from the benchmarks it seems that Absoft's fortran 77 compiler
under Linux performs as well as g77 or f2c with gcc. Is this
also your experience?

Any updates on this would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-- 
                                      ("`-/")_.-'"``-._
Gustavo A. Mercier,Jr.,MD,PhD         (. . `) -._    )-;-,_() 
Division of Nuclear Medicine          (v_,)'  _  )`-.\  ``-
Dept. of Radiology                    _;- _,-_/ / ((,'
University of Pennsylvania           ((,.-'  ((,/
3400 Spruce St.                  [email-masked]
Philadelphia, PA 19104         215-662-3069/3091 fax: 215-349-5843

---

From: Leif Laaksonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 21:34:18 +0300 (EET DST)

Hi,

I don't know if CHARMM is a good MD example but Milan Hodoscek has
a very nice page with CHARMM benchmarking (including PentiumPro) at:

http://kihp6.ki.si/parallel/summary.html

> for MD simulations PPro boxes are 2x slower. Does your experience

Regards,

-leif laaksonen

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Leif Laaksonen                     |  
Center for Scientific Computing    | Phone:      358 9 4572378
P.O. Box 405                       | Mobile:     358 400425203
FIN-02101 Espoo                    | Telefax:    358 9 4572302
FINLAND                            | Mail:  [email-masked]
-------- URL: http://laaksonen.csc.fi/leif.laaksonen.html ---------