Subject: CCL: Software for print quality images

From: "Venkataraman P.S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 14:44:03 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Netters,

I am looking for a "free" software that would read XYZ co-ordinates of
molecules and produce print quality images in black & white. The software
should preferably have the following additional features :

1. The names of the atoms should be displayed. Otherwise it is difficult
to identify atoms in grey-scale. A ball and stick image would be great.

2. The software should allow translation/rotation of the structure to
obtain a suitable view.

3. A unix/PC based application is preferred.

If anyone is aware of such a software, kindly let me know directly.

I shall be glad to summarize the responses for the benefit of others.

Thanks in advance.

Venkat

*******************************
Venkataraman P.S.
Department of chemical engineering
University of Virginia
Charlottesville
Va 22903

********************************

---

From: "nick.c" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 13:48:05 -0700

Venkataraman,

      I have always used Chem3D for geneating postscript
        files of 3D molecular structures.  It is configurable
        to have atom labels or numbers on the atoms, exports
        postcript form, allows free rotation/translation
        of structures and fragments, and imports xyz data.

      There is a Macintosh freeware version of this software
        available from CamSci at:

            <http://www.camsci.com/>

        I've always used the commercial mac version, but they
        also have a commercial PC version.  I'm uncertain
        what features are available in their freeware version.
        Hope this helps,

____Nicholas C. DeMello, Ph.D.________________________________________
   Online at MacTech Magazine, the Journal of Macintosh Programming
     http://www.MacTech.com/
                                       _/   _/  _/  _/_/_/   _/   _/
  Chemistry: [email-masked]       _/_/ _/  _/  _/   _/  _/_/_/
    MacTech: [email-masked]      _/ _/_/  _/  _/       _/ _/
       http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~nick/   _/  _/   _/_/_/  _/   _/