Subject: SUMMARY: Numerically Solving Partial Differential Equations

From: Gerald Loeffler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 15:07:54 +0200

Hi!

The following books dealing with numerical solutions to partial
differential equations were recommended to me.

Thanks to all who responded - you know who you are!

The list of books:
	o "Numerical Recipes in <Insert Your Favourite Language Here>".
	  also online at http://cfata2.harvard.edu/numerical-recipes.
	o Lapidus L. & Pinder G.F., "Numerical Solution of Partial
	  Differential Equations in Science and Engineering", Wiley, 
	  New York, 1982
	o Smith G.D., "Numerical Solution of Partial Differential
	  Equations: Finite Difference Methods" (3rd edition),
	  Clarendon, Oxford, 1985.

"Numerical Recipes" cites (among many others):
	o W. Hackbusch, "Multi-Grid Methods and Applications", Springer,
	  New York, 1985
	o L. Baker, "More C Tools for Scientists and Engineers",
	  McGraw-Hill, New York, 1991
	o W. L. Briggs, "A Multigrid Tutorial", S.I.A.M., Philadelphia,
	  1987
	o W. Hackbusch and U. Trottenberg (eds.), "Multigrid Methods
	  III", Birkhauser, Boston, 1991

Furthermore, poeple noted that:
	o "Finite difference" means "finite element" with box-shaped
	  elements.
	o Chris Cortis ([email-masked]) wrote a program
	  called PBSOLV that does essentially what Delphi does (i.e,
	  solve the Poisson-Boltzmann equation) but uses finite element
	  methods instead of finite difference methods. It gives forces
	  as well as energies.
-- 

Gerald Loeffler
PostDoc in Theoretical Biochemistry

EMail: [email-masked]
Phone: +43 1 79730 554
Fax:   +43 1 7987153
SMail: I.M.P. - Research Institute of Molecular Pathology
       Dr. Bohr-Gasse 7
       A-1030 Vienna
       AUSTRIA