Subject: Conv=N command in G94

From: [email-masked] (Chia-Ning Yang)
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 16:10:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, 
I happen to forget where to put the command Conver=N in 
g94 input file.  Can somebody answer me this?
Thanks.
C. Yang

---

From: Jaime Martell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 17:44:21 -0400 (EDT)

> g94 input file.  Can somebody answer me this?

Wherever the G94 manual tells you to put it.  My apology if you don't have
a manual, but doesn't Gaussian still supply them with every purchase?  It
just seems to me that a large portion of the questions asked here could
better be answered by searching in manuals, or calling or e-mailing the
appropriate help desk (Gaussian or whomever is your favourite software
vendor).

Jaime Martell, Ph.D.                     Phone: (519) 824-4120 Ext. 8520
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry   E-mail: [email-masked] 
University of Guelph                    
Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1G 2W1

---

From: "Fredrick C. Hagemeister" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 22:03:45 -0500

> Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1G 2W1

I think I understand both sides.  On one hand, yes, I believe that
people should first try to find an answer through traditional methods
(manuals/docs and tech. support).  Especially, when bandwidth is at
stake! :-)  However, some legitimate Gaussian users may not have
documentation available.  Those people using a network/mainframe version
and others who have G9x access through such grants as NCSA SAP's, do not
have the same access that others with a copy on their desks have.

Further, I recently had a similar problem in which a CCL contributor
suggested to another to use the "extended frequency output keyword" to
get the G92 style normal modes in Cartesian coordinates.  Of course, I
knew I was in trouble when the phrase was in plain English (since such
instances never result in the actual command parameter syntax !).  I
looked through my G94 manual (located within a foot of me) to find no
such keyword.  I tried using P in the router which, of course, only gave
me some extra polarizability info. and a frequency stick plot.  One line
in the manual hinted at going to the companion text, and of course, I
hadn't purchased it.  I was finally successful when I went to Gaussian's
fairly new web site and found it.  BTW, it is FREQ=HPMODES.

I suggest to Chia-Ning Yang to check out www.gaussian.com.  It has a
more complete version of the docs than the manual they send out!  To
Jaime Martell, I suggest when you see a message with a subject heading
like "CCL:G:Conv=N command in G94," expect to find someone needing to
know about the Conv=N command in G94 rather than someone giving some
potentially important information about Conv=N.  Hence, you can _skip_
that message and save yourself the time.

--
 ***************************************************
 *         Fredrick (Fred) C. Hagemeister          *
 * Dept. of Chemistry - Div. of Physical Chemistry *
 *                Purdue University                *
 *                 1393 Brown Bldg                 *
 *          West Lafayette, IN 47907-1393          *
 *  ph.(317)494-7792 home/ans.machn.(317)474-2303  *
 *                [email-masked]               *
 ***************************************************