Subject: Re: CCL:G:RTFM? What FM? was: Conv=N command in G94

From: [email-masked] (N. Sukumar)
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 12:19:30 +0200

Speaking in general (I'm not a MacroModel user) I have little use for a
shelf-full of manuals, which is more intimidating than convenient. Also
many labs don't have space for such things. On-line SEARCHABLE manuals
are definitely superior, supplementing a CONCISE printed Primer or Users'
Guide. But the speed of access of the on-line documentation is an
important factor.
Just my personal opinions.
Dr.N.Dukumar
Institut fuer theoretische Chemie der Universitaet Bonn

---

From: "Gustavo A. Mercier Jr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 10:53:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi!

My 0.02 worth of opinion on "manuals"... 

On line manuals are a great help once you know the software package,
and are looking for answers to specific questions.

I find that the old fashion manual is still necessary, particularly
a tutorial one. It is wasteful to sit in a computer terminal or to
use net bandwith to learn a new software package, normally a slow
process best initiated off line.

Many individuals *don't* want to read manuals. They prefer to jump
in, do things, and then ask those of us who *do* read the manuals.
As you may imagine, RTFM is part of my vocabulary, particularly with
individuals who are expected to become major users of an application.

It must be emphasized that network connections vary among places.
I normally work in a academic/medical school/hospital environment
concerned with security. Firewalls are a reality for me with their
necessary restrictions. Moreover, net overload is an unfortunate
reality, too. Not all of us work with a PC/Mac/terminal on our desk,
but instead share limited resources with others.

If software manufacturers want to reduce cost, then provide a CD-ROM
or diskette REFERENCE, but I still believe that the most efficient
way for the end user is to use an off line USERS MANUALS and TUTORIALS. Web
sites are a nice addition, but don't subsititute for the above.

Finally, cluttering hardrives with online help is another "No. No." This is
a common practice by Microsoft and SGI that is really annoying. They save
on manuals, but I spend on a bigger harddrive. ;-) (Does the savings
really reach the consumer?)

Bye!
-- 
                                      ("`-/")_.-'"``-._
Gustavo A. Mercier,Jr.,MD,PhD         (. . `) -._    )-;-,_() 
Division of Nuclear Medicine          (v_,)'  _  )`-.\  ``-
Dept. of Radiology                    _;- _,-_/ / ((,'
University of Pennsylvania           ((,.-'  ((,/
3400 Spruce St.                  [email-masked]
Philadelphia, PA 19104         215-662-3069/3091 fax: 215-349-5843

---

From: Mike Kotelyanskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 14:39:34 -0400 (EDT)

I agree with Gustavo Mercier's posting.
On-line help is great. It is very helpful for a quick reference, but is no
substitute for the manual on hardcopy. 
Whether the manufacturer should supply a printed hardcopy 
is a matter of the costs at the user end. I think the best solution would 
be to make it optional for customer to order them.
A file in any common printable format (PostScript, some Word Processor or 
so) I think is neccessary, and ket the user decide what is cheaper or more
convenient for him - to print it locally or to order a printed copy.
who of us have does not have  bookshelves full of multiple copies of the 
same manual? 
Having manuals on-line at the suppliers web-site, I guess is not  
convenient. The HTML version especially with index and well organized
cross-references is very useful, but going there every time is annoying 
and is a definite band-width waste. I think it would be great to have 
them downloadable (or distributed with the program), so that I could 
browse them locally.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael J. Kotelyanskii				Phone (814) 863 43 81
Polymer Science Program				FAX   (814) 865 29 17
Department of Materials Science and
Engineering                                     [email-masked]
Pennsilvania State University
University Park, PA 16802, USA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------