Subject: Re: CCL:G:RTFM? What FM?

From: Mitch Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 10:54:27 -0700

>This little exchange reminds me that the printed manual seems to
>be going the way of the <pick your favorite endangered species>.
>
>Many computer products (hardware and software) are now being shipped
>without printed manuals.  Often, printable manuals are supplied on
>a CD/ROM, but sometimes even this isn't done -- there is only on-line
>help, and maybe some HTML pages at a distant site.
>

When learning a new package of some complexity, I like a hard-copy manaul
that I can take into another room and read at length for general concepts
and capability. 
On-line docs (as HTML or other format) are great for looking up syntaxes.
I'd rather have a copy on my computer than need to connect to a site that
may be down or slow just to look something up.  Best of both worlds would
be an easy way to update my local copy periodically.

Mitchell Miller
MDL Information Systems, Inc.
(801) 569-1390 		VoiceMail (800)955-0051 ext. 2163
[email-masked]
	'Quand sa Hautesse envoie un vaisseau en Egypte, s'embarasse-t-elle
	si les souris sont a leur aise?'

---

From: "Peter Shenkin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 15:29:27 -0400

I've gotten lots of private email responses on this subject, in
addition to the posted responses I've seen.  I've been archiving
all of these.

After the dust settles, I'll post a summary to CCL.

	-P.

-- 
**** "Deep Blue can't triumph in the game of life" (NY Times, 5/13/97) ****
* Peter S. Shenkin; Chemistry, Columbia U.; 3000 Broadway, Mail Code 3153 *
** NY, NY  10027;  [email-masked];  (212)854-5143;  FAX: 678-9039 ***
*MacroModel WWW page: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/chemistry/mmod/mmod.html *