Subject: [alt.folklore.computers] Re: 2001 - why are we getting it wrong? (Re: Year 2000 - leap year

From: "Ernst U. Wallenborn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 09:45:51 +0200

------- Start of forwarded message -------

> 
> Clive "whose home village is twinned with some unpronouncable suburb of
> Lub...Lyub...Ljib...the capital of Slovenia" Feather
> 

Laibach is easy to pronounce, isn't it.

------- End of forwarded message -------

---

From: Alain Kessi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 13:11:11 +0200

Ernst U. Wallenborn wrote:
> > Clive "whose home village is twinned with some unpronouncable suburb
> > of Lub...Lyub...Ljib...the capital of Slovenia" Feather
> 

It's also easily associated with the Nazi occupiers of Slovenia
(although the name Laibach is an old one, it cannot be seen separately
>from its reintroduction by the Nazis as the official name of Ljubljana).
Note that the music group Laibach from Ljubljana took an interesting
approach to stating unmistakably their opposition to Nazi ideology, by
using the fascist discourse to the extreme (including in their name) and
breaking the logic of it, in ways each time adapted to their audience. A
practice not without its dangers, to say the least, but apparently they
have been quite good at not being mistaken for Nazis.

Best,

Alain Kessi (Paul Scherrer Institute, Zuerich)

P.S.: Sorry 'bout diffusing stuff other than Computational Chemistry
over this list, but I felt the previous post could not go unanswered.
Please answer privately if you care to comment.

---

From: Ernst-Udo Wallenborn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 15:39:06 +0200

>Please answer privately if you care to comment.

actually i just had a buggy .mailrc file. the mail
wasn't meant for ccl at all.

your 'could not go unanswered' would be right if i had
posted this intentionally on ccl.

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth. This will not happen again.