Subject: use of CCL

From: [email-masked] (Han Zuilhof)
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 18:26:28 +0100

Dear CCL'ers,

In the discussion about the use of CCL as a Gaussian hotline several things
can be added.
First, Gaussian is a very frequently used program with tons of rarely used
options that are useful for a small audience.  I LOVE discussions of this
type of problems on CCL, because it often is about problems that I haven't
heard/thought about before, and that appear to be relevant for my own
research a long time (up to years) later.  Detailed stuff about the use of
IOp's I've frequently picked up from (the archives of) CCL.   I would pity
it if that would stop.  For qunatum chemistry Gaussian is used a lot -> cut
out those Gaussian discussions, and CCL would be (significantly) less
interesting to me.

Second, a lot of the stuff on CCL is not directly interesting to me and my
research group, but points to issues that people are interested in.  In
this way I can via -sometimes pretty detailed- CCL questions find out about
issues that are not very-well described in the literature yet.  This
concerns in my case a lot of MM and MD work, but for others perhaps QM
work, and the most frequently used program (by far) is still Gaussian.  By
use of filters (automatic or just fast reading what a message is about) it
doesn't bother me at all if discussions are detailed in areas which do not
have my interest at all or 90% of the time.

Finally, several remarks have been made by contributors that the Gaussian
support is unworthy of a market-leader company.  A detailed description of
the meaning of all IOp-commands would be very useful for a LOT of people.
I hope Wavefunction, SemiChem, Hyperchem, Q-Chem, Schrodinger, etc. are
listening to the discussion:   combine your service with the flexibility of
G94, and many people's money can be yours!

With best regards,
Han

*********************************************************************
Han Zuilhof                         *  E-mail:  [email-masked]
Dept. of Organic Chemistry          *  FAX   :  31-317-484914
Wageningen Agricultural University  *  phone :  31-317-482367
P.O. Box 8026                       *
6700 EG  Wageningen                 *
The Netherlands                     *    "Excite a photochemist!"
*********************************************************************