Subject: Re: CCL:G:GAUSSIAN HOTLINE?

From: Laurent TROXLER <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 17:26:02 +0200 (MET)

> 1997 May  23
> CCL AS GAUSSIAN HOTLINE
> 
> I think it's a matter of balance. Gaussian users should read the manual first
> (manual--a kind of book), _then_ if necessary contact Gaussian; if that
> does not work, then I think it's reasonable to resort to the CCL. We should
> remember that Gaussian is the most widely-used program for doing computational
> chemistry (the most widely-used ab initio program anyway), so it seems almost
> natural that on a _computational _chemistry_ list there are going to be
> a lot of questions about Gaussian.  So let's tolerate such queries, when they
> arise as a last resort.
> 

	Dear CCl users,

I have been fallowing the discussion for several days on the Gaussian CCL users
wondering how long it would take until someone would finally start "defending"
the Gaussian users. Of course it could have been me...
In agreement with what is on top I would just like to add part of my own experience to it.

I am not a long time CCL user, but what I appreciate the most since I am linked
to it is the diversity of the subjects, including Gaussian. I am myself a
Gaussian user but not only, and a compilation problem with Gaussian was the main 
reason of my CCL subscription. It was more then 6 month ago when I had asked at 
Gaussian-help how I could compile on a new HP-processor and system. The only answer 
I recieved was that they were working on it and that they would contact me as soon 
as possible.
They are still working on it, that is what they answered me when I had submited
my question on CCL. But one day after I had resolved my compilation problem with
the help of the CCL Gaussian users. 

I do agree that sometimes the questions could be solved by having a better look
to the manuals, but this is not particular to Gaussian, one can also observe it
for other software. I also consider that if I do not want to "loose" time reading
message which I am not interested in I just delate it after reading its subject.
CCL is a general talking field, I think one must tolerate every one if we want to
keep its interest. Science is also a question of attention, maybe even to
tolerence

Thanks to your own attention, hopping I did not make you loose to much of your
precious time.

			Laurent Troxler

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@/\@@/\@@/\@@@@  
  Laurent TROXLER				 /  \/  \/  \
  Lab. Modelisation et Simulations Moleculaires	/ /\/ /\/ /\ \
  Universite Louis Pasteur			\ \/ /\/ /\/ /
  4, rue Blaise Pascal				 \ \/\ \/\ \/
  67070 Strasbourg (France)			 /\ \/\ \/\ \
  E-mail: [email-masked]		/ /\/ /\/ /\ \
  Tel   : (33) 3 88 41 62 87			\ \/ /\/ /\/ / 
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@\@@/\@@/\@@/@@@
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""\/""\/""\/""""