Subject: 98.01.05 Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing

From: [email-masked] (Terry P. Lybrand)
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 14:50:32 -0700

******************************Call for Papers**********************************

		Molecular modeling in drug design and biotechnology

                         Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing '98
			    (http://cgl.ucsf.edu/psb)
			
Co-chairs:
	Terry P. Lybrand, University of Washington, Seattle                  
        Teri E. Klein, University of California, San Francisco
        Jurgen Bajorath, Bristol-Myers Squibb Research Institute and 
        University of Washington, Seattle.

The Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing (PSB-98) is an international,
multidisciplinary conference for the presentation and discussion of current
research in the theory and application of computational methods in problems
of biological significance.

We are currently soliciting manuscripts for the track/session "Molecular
modeling in drug design and biotechnology" and/or abstracts for an 
accompanying poster session.

This session will highlight state-of-the-art molecular modeling approaches
which aid in small molecular and structure-based drug design and protein
engineering. These include approaches to analyze the energetics and dynamics
of macromolecular structures and their interactions with various ligands. 
Advances in the generation and assessment of molecular models of proteins
and protein-ligand complexes will be discussed. One focal point will be
new developments and advances in computational tools to perform automated
ligand docking to target receptor sites, including the design of new
or modified ligands with desired receptor binding properties.
New methods and practical examples of computer-aided protein engineering
will also be highlighted.  Contributions from all areas of pharmaceutical
or biological research are encouraged to illustrate the increasing
importance of computational methods in drug development.

PSB-98 will publish peer-reviewed full papers in an archival proceedings.  
Manuscripts must adhere to the guidelines set forth on the the PSB web page.
Full papers must not have been previously presented or published, nor 
currently submitted to another journal.  Once accepted to 
the conference, a paper may be submitted for journal publication. Each 
manuscript will be refereed by at least four reviewers. 
Authors who do not wish to submit a full paper are welcome to submit a 1-2 page
abstract as outlined on the PSB web page, which will
be distributed at the meeting separately from the archival proceedings.

The deadline for paper submission is July 14, 1997. Abstracts may be submitted
until October 1.

Papers must be submitted to:

      PSB-98
      c/o Section on Medical Informatics
      Stanford University Medical School, MSOB X215
      Stanford, CA 94305-5479  USA

   Electronic submission of papers is encouraged.  Format requirements for
   electronic submission will be available on the web page
   (http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/psb) or from Russ Altman
   ([email-masked]).  Electronic papers will be submitted directly
   to Dr. Altman.

   We prefer that all one page abstracts are submitted electronically.
   Please send them to us in plain ascii text or as a Microsoft Word file.
   If this is impossible, please contact Teri Klein ([email-masked]).

Contact information:

Terry Lybrand
Univ. of Washington, Box 351750
Phone:  (206)-685-1515 (office); (206)-685-1512 (lab)
E-mail: [email-masked]

Jurgen Bajorath
Bristol-Myers Squibb Res. Inst.
[email-masked]
Tel  (206) 727-3612

Teri Klein
UCSF
Phone: (415) 476-0663
email: [email-masked]

For more information on the Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing, please see
our web site at http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/psb.  

******************************************************************************
-------------------------------------cut here-----------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------
Terry P. Lybrand, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Molecular Bioengineering
Adjunct Associate Professor, Chemistry
Director, Whitaker Molecular Modeling Laboratory
Center for Bioengineering
Univ. of Washington, Box 351750
Seattle, WA  98195-1750
Phone:  (206)-685-1515 (office); (206)-685-1512 (lab)
Fax:    (206)-616-4387
E-mail: [email-masked]
WWW: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lybrand