Subject: CCL: animation

From: Andrew Dalke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 15:54:44 -0500

Given the couple of responses to this thread, I guess it is 
time to plug some of my work :)

The program that I helped develop, VMD
<http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/>, can write to various
3D file formats, like POV-Ray{2,3}, Raster3D and VRML, as well as
do trajectory animations and run in batch mode.  VMD is free
and runs best on SGIs, but slower version (because of the emulated
OpenGL) are available for HPs and Linux.

The biggest problem is that no one with a strong rendering
background has worked on the code so there aren't really the
hooks to tweak things that one might expect (eg, for making
all the carbons be ebony or the surface be made of
semi-transparent glass.  We are open to suggestions, and you can
get the VMD source to add your own tweaks.

For a short tutorial I wrote a few months ago for making movies
(with Raster3D), see
 http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/workshop/movie.html
(The general workshop notes, which help give an idea what VMD can
do are at http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/workshop/ .)

						Andrew Dalke
						[email-masked]