Subject: SUMMARY: Contraceptives and Endocirne Disruptors

From: Simon Hogg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 12:23:29 +0100

A few days ago, I asked the question;

>I'd just like to ask if there are any groups out there who are interested
>(or are doing,) modelling of contraceptive interactions of hormones (things
>like RU486, oestrogen, progesterone, oestradiols, etc.)  This is just out of
>curiosity.

Thanks to all those who replied, here is a summary of responses;

======
I would be interested in finding out more of what you mean by modeling- we
have been developing novel methods for biological pathway and systems
analysis, and have already been modeling the hypothalmus-pituitary-gonad axis

Michael N. Liebman, Ph.D.
[email-masked]

======
Our group at UCT (Prof JR Bull) has been involved in mainly the 
synthesis of estradiol analogues and in collaboration with Schering 
AG (Berlin), we have been able to do some modelling of these 
compounds.  However, as none of this work has been published yet, I 
can't give you any references.

Probably the major academic group invloved in this area is that of 
Katzenellenbogen in the US (Urbana, Illinois), and he has published 
quite prolifically in the area.  Recently he published a review 
article in Steroids, which provides a really good overview of studies 
of the estrogen receptor and related stuff.  Steroids, 1997, 62, 268-
303.  Otherwise, a group that does mainly structural work is 
that of WL Duax at Buffalo (US), Jaouen (France) does a lot of work 
on Organometallic compounds binding to the ER, and there are a number 
of groups in industry who do publish occasionally - Schering AG 
(Berlin), Roussel-Uclaf and some smaller ones that I can't recall.

Pieter de Koning
[email-masked]

======
Actually, we are just starting to look at environmental estrogens in
our molecular transform and QSAR work. 

Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
[email-masked]

======
I can mention that there are groups working with 
receptor models/structures -check out these URL's: 

1) 	http://util.ucsf.edu/flett/flett.html 
	with this paper: 
	Preliminary crystallographic studies of the ligand-binding domain 
	of the 	thyroid hormone receptor complexed 
	with triiodothyronine. J. Mol. Biol., submitted. 

check also this: 
2)	http://www.msi.umn.edu:80/Projects/mg90601/anwhome.html 

Eldbjørg S. Heimstad, Dr. scient.
[email-masked]

=================================

--	Simon Hogg, Imperial College, London, UK
Tel.	+44 171 589 5111 ext. 56721
Fax.	+44 171 584 3194
Email:	[email-masked]   Glass-List: [email-masked]