Subject: Theoretical study of methyl migrations

From: [email-masked] (John Nicholas)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:20:49 -0700

Hi, I'm looking for information on theoretical studies of methyl
migrations in hydrocarbons. Given a carbon with four distinct
substituents (X)(Y)C(H)(CH3), I'd like to know the transition
state for flipping the H and CH3. Another way of thinking
of this is given an assymetric ring with a methyl on one "side",
how does it migrate to the other side.

Any ideas or references would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, a search of Current Contents didn't turn up anything
interesting. I try not to ask these questions before 
looking to the obvious sources.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  John Nicholas                                 Office: (509) 375-6559
  Senior Research Scientist                        FAX: (509) 375-6631
  Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory     
  Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
  Mailstop K1-96
  Richland, WA 99352
------------------------------------------------------------------------------