Subject: CCL: PSC Sequence Analysis Workshop

From: Marcela Madrid <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 15:26:45 -0400 (EDT)

The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center is offering a
NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS
workshop, July 20-25, 1997.

This intense workshop will teach the basics of sequence analysis, including
remote supercomputing, database searching and pairwise sequence alignment,
multiple sequence alignments, pattern identification, inverse structure
prediction, and visualization of macromolecular structures. Special
emphasis will be placed on parameter selection, and the mathematical and
statistical properties of the algorithms and methods presented.
Information will also be presented on the latest pattern identification
techniquesincluding hidden markov models, advanced position-specific
weight matrix techniques and bayesan estimation.

The workshop will consist of both lectures and extensive hands-on lab sessions.

In addition to the lab exercises, participants can work on their own research
problems, with the help of the instructors.  Participants are encouraged to
bring their research data, but not required.

Instructors
Dr. Gary Churchill, Cornell University
Dr. David W. Deerfield II, Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
Dr. Michael Gribskov, San Diego Supercomputer Center
Dr. Hugh B. Nicholas Jr., Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
Alexander J. Ropelewski, Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center

For more information, please see
http://www.psc.edu/biomed/workshops/wk-97/NAPSA-97/napsa.html
or contact Nancy Blankenstein, [email-masked],  (412) 268-4960.

To register, please send the following registration form
to [email-masked]

Registration deadline is July 20, 1997.

_____________________________________________________________________________

                        Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
    
                      Biomedical Supercomputing Initiative

                                 APPLICATION FORM

Please complete the following form and return it with the corresponding
documentation. Direct inquiries to: Nancy Blankenstein
[email-masked] or (412) 268-4960.

Application Deadline: July 20, 1997

                      PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER
                           BIOMEDICAL INITIATIVE

     NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS WORKSHOP, July 20-25, 1997.
                                APPLICATION

Name:          ______________________________________________________________

Affiliation:   ______________________________________________________________

Address:       ______________________________________________________________
               (Business)
               ______________________________________________________________

               ______________________________________________________________
               (Home)
               ______________________________________________________________

Telephone:  ____________________________         ____________________________
                   (Business)                                (Home)

*Social Security Number:  _______-_____-_______ 

Citizenship:___________________

Electronic Mail Address:_____________________________________________________

Status: ___Graduate  ___Post-doctoral Fellow  ___Faculty  ___Other (specify)

Please indicate specifically any special housing, transportation or dietary
arrangements you will need: 

___________________________________________________

How did you learn about this workshop:_______________________________________

REQUIREMENTS:

Applicants must submit a completed application form and a cover letter. The
letter should describe, in one or two paragraphs, your current research,
and how participating in the workshop will enhance this research. Please
include a brief statement describing your level of experience with
computers. Faculty members, staff and post-docs should provide a
curriculum vitae. Graduate students must have a letter of recommendation
>from a faculty member.

Please return all application materials six weeks before the workshop you are
applying for to

     Biomedical Workshop Applications Committee
     Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
     4400 Fifth Avenue, Suite 230C
     Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Direct inquiries to: Nancy Blankenstein [email-masked], or (412)268-4960.

*Disclosure of Social Security Number is voluntary.

PSC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age,
creed, national or ethnic origin, or handicap.