Subject: CCL:organic synthesis is comp.chem.!

From: Jeremy Harvey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:23:04 +0200

Hello all,

I used to do some organic synthesis, and before starting a reaction, I
would try to work out how much reagent I needed from the mol. weights,
stoechiometry, etc. To do this, I often used a ... pocket calculator ! So
organic synthesis is right at the heart of computational chemistry !

More seriously, I doubt whether a definition is upcoming or even desirable.
J. E. Huheey gives a nice definition of Inorganic Chemistry in his text
book : "Inorganic Chemistry is any phase of chemistry of interest to an
inorganic chemist." I don't think we'll do any better when attempting to
define Comp. Chem. or Molecular Modelling.

But that won't stop us doing/enjoying it !

Best regards,

Jeremy

__________________________________

Dr. Jeremy N. Harvey

Technische Universitaet Berlin
Institut fur Organische Chemie Sekretariat C4
Strasse des 17. Juni, 135
D-10623 BERLIN
Tel. (49) 030 314 26546
Fax. (49) 030 314 21102
[email-masked]
__________________________________