Subject: 97.07.27 Parallel Processing on CRAY MPP Systems

From: Stephanie Dobler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 09:55:35 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.psc.edu/training/MPP_Jul_97/welcome.html

              Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
Supercomputing Techniques: Parallel Processing on CRAY MPP Systems
                     July 28-31, 1997
-------------------------------------------------------------------
             REGISTRATION DEADLINE:  June 30, 1997
-------------------------------------------------------------------

PURPOSE:

The purpose of this three and a half day workshop is to introduce 
participants to parallel processing on the CRAY T3E and explore
more advanced topics, including performance monitoring and
optimization techniques. 

AGENDA:

The first two days of this workshop have been designed to introduce 
participants to PSC's supercomputing environment, compiling, debugging,
job submission, and parallel programming concepts. Participants will 
learn to write parallel code using message passing calls.

The third and fourth days are designed to cover more advanced topics,
including advanced parallel programming techniques, how to monitor 
code performance and optimization strategies. There will also be 
presentations on scientific applications which have been parallelized.

To ensure that participants receive quality training, our workshops
incorporate both lectures and extensive hands-on lab sessions. 
Programming exercises are carefully designed to reinforce concepts and 
techniques taught in class. Our instructors have strong scientific and
technical backgrounds and are available for individual consultation 
during lab sessions.

In addition to the lab exercises, lab time will also be available for 
participants to optimize their own code with the help and
supervision of our instructors.  Participants are encouraged to bring
their code, but not required. 

==> A working knowledge of FORTRAN or C and UNIX are required.
==> Parallel computing experience is not necessary. 

REGISTRATION FEES:

Admission to this training workshop is free to the United States
academic community. 

Interested corporate and government applicants, as well as applicants
from academic institutions outside the United States should contact 
Kathi Burgard at (412)268-5131 for information on attendance fees. 

HOUSING AND TRAVEL:

Housing and travel are the responsibility of participants, but we will 
provide information on local hotels at your request. Group rates for 
local hotels are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

REGISTRATION:

To register for this workshop, please complete and return the 
registration form below by June 30, 1997 to: 

Workshop Application Committee
ATTN: Kathi Burgard
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
4400 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA  15213. 

You may also apply for this workshop by sending requested information 
via electronic mail to [email-masked] or via fax to (412/268-5832).

For additional online information, please visit the workshop's homepage at
http://www.psc.edu/training/MPP_Jul_97/welcome.html

========================================================================
Name: 

Please circle one:      Ms.     Mr.     Dr.     Prof.

Department: 

Univ/Ind/Gov Affiliation:

Address:

Telephone:  W (   )               H(   )                        

Electronic Mail Address:

Social Security Number:                                 

Citizenship:

Are you a PSC user (yes/no)?
If yes, please give your PSC username:

Academic Standing (please check one):
  F - Faculty          UG - Undergraduate                  I -Industrial
 PD - Postdoctorate    UR - University Research Staff      GV-Government
 GS - Graduate Student UN - University Non-Research Staff   O - Other 

Please explain why you are interested in attending this workshop and what 
you hope to gain from it.
 
_______________________________________________________________________
NOTE: THE FOLLOWING TWO QUESTIONS MUST BE COMPLETED FOR THE 
APPLICATION TO RECEIVE CONSIDERATION.
_______________________________________________________________________

1. Briefly describe your computing background (scalar, vector, and 
parallel programming experience; platforms; languages):

2. Briefly describe your research interests:

Please indicate the workshop for which you are applying:

All applicants will be notified of acceptance during the week of 
July 14.