Subject: Re: CCL:Definition of "thermochemical"

From: "William R. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 08:06:50 -0400

Hello,

        I can't cite chapter and verse, but "thermochemical" generally
deals with the thermodynamics/kinetics/... of REACTING systems - typically
any properties of such systems depending on temperature (- "thermo") and
reactions (- "chemical").  "Thermodynamic" refers to ALL aspects of
thermodynamics (including thermochemical) - i.e. the study of changes in a
system when internal energy is the prime factor - (and temperature is the
most significant variable affecting a system state).  "Thermodynamics" thus
applies to BOTH reacting and nonreacting systems.

        "Thermophysical" is another term used, which generally refers to
the effects of temperature on NON-REACTING systems - this includes, for
example, phase equilibria.  

        Modifications/sharpening of the above welcomed!

At 09:22 PM 6/24/97 -0500, YONG HUANG wrote:
>Can anybody explain what is "thermochemical"? What is the difference of it
from
>"thermodynamic"? Anywhere I can find official definitions? What is
>thermochemical kinetics as in Prof. S. Benson's book "Thermochemical
Kinetics:
>Methods for the Estimation of Thermochemical Data and Rate Parameters"?

-- W. R. Smith, PhD, P. Eng., Senior Scientist, Mathtrek Systems --
3-304 Stone Road West, Suite 165, Guelph, Ontario CANADA N1G 4W4
EMail: [email-masked]       Tel:519-763-1356,FAX:519-763-4525
--------------------- http://www.mathtrek.com ---------------------
-Mathtrek Systems - Home of EQS4WIN Chemical Equilibrium Software -