Subject: Computational Science in Pharmaceutical Industry

From: Gerald Loeffler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 12:42:29 +0200

Hi!

Having just come back from ISMB'97 (Intelligent System for Molecular
Biology), which was totally dominated (expectedly, one might say) by
bioinformatics, I thought I might quickly poll your insight into the
Pharmaceutical Industry to help me orient myself in the _practical_
importance of different computational techniques.

For instance, it would be very interesting for me to know which
percentage of the jobs currently offered by Pharmaceutical Companies are
in which area of computational science?! The main areas I'm thinking of
are the more traditional
	1) docking, molecular modeling, ligand design,
the still structure-oriented 
	2) protein structure prediction, homology modeling, threading
and on the other end of the spectrum the obviously so fashionable 
	3) bioinformatics.

Furthermore, do you see a pronounced trend towards (or away from) some
of these areas?

	Thank you - and I'll summarise, of course!
	gerald
-- 

Gerald Loeffler
PostDoc in Theoretical Biochemistry

EMail: [email-masked]
Phone: +43 1 79730 554
Fax:   +43 1 7987153
SMail: I.M.P. - Research Institute of Molecular Pathology
       Dr. Bohr-Gasse 7
       A-1030 Vienna
       AUSTRIA