Subject: ACS THEORY/IBM grad student computer awards - call for Apps.

From: [email-masked] (Michael Page)
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 10:22:49 -0600

--Call for Applicants

IBM Graduate Student Awards in Computational Chemistry

Below is an announcement for two Awards in Computational  Chemistry that
are open to current graduate students.   We are grateful to  IBM and the
Minnesota Supercomputing Institute for their support of these awards.

Let me urge you to encourage your graduate students to apply.  The
competition is open to any graduate student (regardless of  citizenship)
who began graduate study after August 1, 1994 and who is an ACS member (or
whose advisor is an ACS  member).  These awards are designed to encourage
graduate work in stimulate interest in the Subdivision of Theoretical
Chemistry
and the Physical Chemistry Division of the ACS.
An Awards Committee will consider all the applicants. The awards
applications should be sent to Professor Bill Hase at Wayne State University.
Note that the deadline for applications is August 15.

These two awards,  supported by IBM, will provide one-time cash stipends
of $2500 and $1000 as supplements to normal
financial aid to  doctoral candidates in the research-dissertation  stage
in the 1997-1998 academic year.  The Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
will  provide each awardee up to 1000 node-hours on an IBM SP2 cluster for
the awardees to actually carry out a portion of the awarded  research.  The
awardees will have access to the consulting services  of the Institute
normally available to all users.  Awardee selection will be made on a
competitive basis.  Applicants should be working on new and innovative
computational  chemistry methods or applications in theoretical chemistry.

Applicants should prepare a written description of a  computational
chemistry research project that requires high  performance computing, with
an explanation of the scientific  importance of the project. Proposals need
to include an estimate  of the computing resources required in SP2
cpu-hours.  Applicants  should explain how they plan to use the grant
funds.  Two letters  of recommendation, including one from the student's
advisor, along  with a vita and transcript, are required. The proposal,
including the vita,  should not exceed five double-spaced pages. In
addition, a faculty person (typically the applicant's research advisor)
responsible for the applicant's use of the Minnesota Supercomputing
Institute resources must be identified.

Forward applications by  August 15, 1997 to

Prof. Bill Hase
Department of Chemistry
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI  48202
[email-masked]

The awardees will be chosen and announced at the Fall 1997 ACS  National
Meeting.