Subject: Urgent! Humanities are in danger of being dissolved

From: Joachim Schummer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 1997 15:43:21 -0700

Dear CCLers,

As a chemists and philosopher, now working on the philosophy of
chemistry, I essentially depend on your support because of a disasterous
university policy in Germany:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences in Karlsruhe
                is in danger of being dissolved
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The commission for university structural affairs of Baden-Wuerttemberg,
Germany has recommended the government (June 21, 1997) to dissolve the
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences at the University of
Karlsruhe. In the disguise of an enlightened measure to improve the
educational ressources of the country, the government obviously intends
to take radical economy measures. Since most humanities departments and
faculties have been shrunk to the very lowest level in this country
during the last years, the commission's general recommendation to cut
another 15-25 p.c. requires now for the first time the closure of a
whole
faculty.

Please support the preservation of the Faculty of Humanities and Social
Sciences! 
Complete our electronic form to require the government to preserve the
humanities and social sciences in Karlsuhe:

        http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~philosophie/iinitiat.htm

We run an electronic list of contributers in order to raise the public
pressure. 

Responses from the international natural sciences community are
particularily welcome.

Please forward this message!

Thank you very much for your help,
                        Joachim Schummer

------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Joachim Schummer
Institute of Philosophy, University of Karlsruhe
Postfach 69 80, D-76128 Karlsruhe, GERMANY
[email-masked]