Subject: Re: heats of formation

From: Adnan Hazar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 11:36:10 +1000 (EST)

Thanks to all those   replied to my question on heats of formation,
very much appreciated. 

A summary of info received:
==============================================================================

From: Wayne Steinmetz <[email-masked]>

The best source of thermodynamic data for organic compounds is the TRC
Thermodynamic Tables, Non-Hydrocarbons, Thermodynamics Research Center,
Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas.  The TRC web site is at
http://trcweb.tamu.edu.  If you have frequent need for these data, you need
to persuade your librarian to subscribe.

These are the data which you requested:
1) standard enthalpy of vaporization at 298.15 K
1-octanal, 53.7 kJ/mole
1-nonanal, 58.5 kJ/mole
1-dodecanal, 72.7 kJ/mole

The table (Table 23-2-1-1.11000) also tabulates the information at the
normal boiling point and 1 atm pressure.           

==============================================================================

From: Val Kulkov <[email-masked]>

you can try to get predicted values of heats of vaporization at
http://www.acdlabs.com/products/ent_vap/ent_predict.htm or
http://www.acdlabs.com/activelab/

==============================================================================

From: "Mildred R. Green Phd." <[email-masked]>

An excellent source for the data your colleague is seeking is the DIPPR
(R) Pure Component Data Compilation from the American Inst. of Chemical
Engineers.  There is an abridged educational version with 100 components
for US$100 plus shipping and handling.  The full database now contains 42
properties for 1584 components.  Should you want more details, a demo or
ordering information, please send you mailing address.

Sincerely,
Mildred
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical Database Services, Inc (TDS)     EMAIL: [email-masked]
Phone:   212 245 0044
FAX:     212 247 0587                      WEBSITE: http://www.tds-tds.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

==============================================================================

From: "W. R. Smith" <[email-masked]>

Heats of vaporization:             
\DeltaH = A*(1-Tr)^B
where DeltaH = heat of vaporization in J/mol, Tr = T/T_c (reduced
temperature).

        1-nonanal       1-octanal       1-dodecanal

A       7.2500E+07      6.6950E+07      8.3180E+07
B       3.7550E-01      3.6760E-01      3.4800E-01
Tc      640K            621K            685K

Source: DIPPR pure component data compilation, 1989 (AIChE)

-- W. R. Smith, PhD, P. Eng., Senior Scientist, Mathtrek Systems --
3-304 Stone Road West, Suite 165, Guelph, Ontario CANADA N1G 
4W4                  

==============================================================================