Subject: molecular modeling definitions

From: Boyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 11:13:53 -0500

CCLers:
	Regarding the recent flurry of interest in what constitutes molecular
modeling, several definitions have been suggested over the last 15+ years.
	I have seen definitions as narrow as: "Molecular mechanics combined with
computer graphics" to as broad as: "Virtually anything which is done to
depict, describe, or evaluate any aspect of the properties or structure of a
molecule that requires the use of a computer".
	As I have pointed out in the prefaces and appendices of several volumes of
"Reviews in Computational Chemistry", the terms computational chemistry and
molecular modeling continue to be used interchangeably by many people,
although others like to make a distinction.
	I would be interested in literature references where other definitions of
molecular modeling and computational chemistry have been offered.
Thanks,  Don

Donald B. Boyd, Ph.D.
Research Professor of Chemistry
Editor, REVIEWS IN COMPUTATIONAL CHEMISTRY
Department of Chemistry
Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis
402 North Blackford Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46202-3274, U.S.A.
Telephone 317-274-6891
Facsimile 317-274-4701
Internet [email-masked]
REVIEWS IN COMPUTATIONAL CHEMISTRY Home Page on the 
World Wide Web URL http://chem.iupui.edu/~boyd/rcc.html