Subject: 3D visualisation software - summary

From: Luca <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:01:31 +0100 (WET DST)

Dear CCL members, 10 days ago I posted a question about a 3D visualisation
software I would like to use to get picture of electronic density and so on.
The software should be able to draw isosurfaces. Here are the answers.
I would like to thank all the people who answered, it has been really useful.
The list is divided in two parts, "freeware" and "to buy".

FREEWARE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Elmar Gerwalin <[email-masked]>
Subject: 3d visualisation

Hi Luca
A good tool for quickly drawing plots, surfaces ... from data tables is
GNUPLOT. It's available on nearly every platform (PC(DOS+WIN),UNIX,...)
and easy to install.
It's very fast, has good export capabilities (PS,printerfiles,gif,...),
only the usage is a bit strange, but you can learn it quickly.

Just try it !
Hope that helps
BYe
Elmar
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Julius Su <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: CCL:3D visualisation software

Hello,

You should check out the Visualization Toolkit at
http://iuinfo.tuwien.ac.at:8000/htdocs/vtk/.
It does everything you mention and is platform independent.

I would like to add to this section the link to SciAn, which is a very
powerful software but unfortunately it runs only if you have GL capability.
People at http://www.scri.fsu.edu/~lyons/scian declare it working on SGI and
RS6000.
Regarding GNUPLOT, I tried the last version but I didn't find any way to get
isosurfaces.

TO BUY
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Peter Tebbutt <[email-masked]>
Subject: plotting

hi Luca,

You could try easyPlot which is marketed by Spiral Software in the states
or  Cherwell Scientific elswhere (URL below).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Greg Paris <[email-masked]>
Subject: re: isosurface visualization...

Although not developed originally with molecular data types, the package
from IBM called Data Explorer is reasonably platform independent, and
is a good general purpose visualizer package.  It is not free, but is, in
my estimation, a good buy.  You may wish to examine IBM's web pages that
describe this product...:
     http://www.almaden.ibm.com/dx/

     Best wishes,
     Greg Paris
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Jeffrey Gosper <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: CCL:3D visualisation software

Re_View3, which is under constuction, can do isosurfacing of data like this,
although at present we have concentrated on atoms data and some form of
surrounding cube data. I'm still devloping the data interface so an
suggestions are welcome.

NB: Test versions of Re_View3 are available to those who purchase a
departmental licence for Re_View.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Ton van Daelen <[email-masked]>
Subject: CCL:3D visualisation software

Dear Luca -

MSI's software developer's kit does exactly what you want. It includes
an API set to visualize iso-surfaces, molecular structure, trajectories,
normal modes, plots/graphs, etc. It also allows you in a few steps to put
an interface together to any computational chemistry code.

For general information about this toolkit visit:
http://www.msi.com/support/sdk/

for specific information on plotting iso-surfaces visit:
http://www.msi.com/support/sdk/users/examples/iso/README.html

Regards - Ton
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Martin Leboeuf <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: 3D visualisation software

Luca,

Take a look at VU :  http://www.cerca.umontreal.ca/vu.

ciao, martin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

VU is a freeware for academic institution and they are really nice. I still
have to try this software (thanks, Martin). Of course one could add the well
known Explorer, once integrated in the IRIX OS and now commercialized by NAG
(see http://www.nag.co.uk, for instance), as well as other packages like
MATHEMATICA, MAPLE, and so on.
Thank you again, I hope somebody will find this list useful.
Regards
                         Luca

Dr. Luca Pedocchi
Laboratorio di Chimica Fisica delle Interfasi
via Cavour, 82 - 50129 Firenze - ITALY

http://lcfs.chim.unifi.it/solid/pedocchi
e-mail [email-masked]   

phone +39-55-2757793
fax   +39-55-219802

Non esistono uomini cattivi, se sono cucinati bene
                                            (Stefano Benni)