Subject: OS and Computational Speed, NT is very close to UNIX

From: Laurence Lavelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 16:07:11 -0700

You may also be interested to know that a paper on NT SPECmarks has been
posted to

    http://www.digital.com/fortran/ntspeed.html

The results discussed are the first SPEC95 submissions using
Microsoft Windows NT.  

Both Intel and Alpha systems were measured under NT and UNIX.  Performance
under NT is excellent. 

Summary from above www site.

	You do not need heroic tuning.

                    On average, SPEC peak results are only 7% better than
base results. 

               You can use NT. 

                    SPECint_base95 and SPECfp_base95 benchmarks compiled under
                    Windows NT achieved 88% to 102% of their performance
under Unix.
                    As compilers continue to mature under Windows NT there
is every
                    reason to expect the performance to become 1:1. 

               You can use mainstream compilers. 

                    The results mentioned just above were achieved with
Microsoft Visual
                    C++ and Digital Visual Fortran (on both Intel and Alpha). 

Regards
Laurence

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Laurence Lavelle, Ph.D.
University of California Los Angeles
Chemistry Department and Molecular Biology Institute
Laboratory of Structural Biology & Molecular Medicine
Los Angeles, CA90095-1570, USA
 
Email:[email-masked]
Phone:(310)206-8270
Fax:(310)825-0982
http://www.mbi.ucla.edu/people/lavelle/lavelle.html
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""