Subject: Re: CCL:Object-oriented means for computational chemist

From: [email-masked] (Armin M. Sobhani)
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 97 12:50:52 EDT

Dear Ping,

For a good example on doing Object-Oriented programming (including
inheritance) in conventional C (OOPC), please refer to the article below:

Linowes J.S. "It's an Attitude: There's a lot of extra coding, but you can
do object-oriented programming in conventional C", Byte Magazine, Vol.13
No.8 August 1988, pp. 219-224

Ping Du wrote:
 
>there is a point that I would like to bring up.  That is, is it 
>possible to implement an OO design using a non-OO language?  The main 
>design features of OOD are abstraction, encapsulation, and 
>inheritance.  One may achieve abstraction and encapsulation in a 
>non-OO language by forcing discipline.  For example, use struct in C 
>as if there were classes and access data members through "interface" 
>functions.  However, implementing inheritance is impossible without 
>an OO language.  Inheritance is pobably the most important feature of 

Regards,

Armin

+----------------------------------------------------------------+
|   __()__ NRCGEB:         | Armin M. Sobhani                    |
|  //\\//\\  National      | Email: [email-masked]           |
| // (()) \\  Research     |        [email-masked]      |
|((  (())  ))  Center for  | URL  : http://www.nrcgeb.ac.ir/armin|
| \\ (()) //  Genetic      | Tel  : +98 21 6418310               |
|  \\_/\_//  Engineering & | Fax  : +98 21 6419834               |
|  (NRCGEB) Biotechnology  | P.O.Box: 14155-6343, Tehran, IRAN   |
+----------------------------------------------------------------+
|      Once you understand the universe at the atomic level      |
|      everything else is easy.         -Richard P. Feynman      |
+----------------------------------------------------------------+