Subject: Re: Alpha + Linux ?

From: Markus Dickebohm <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Aug 1997 18:03:10 +0200

>> Cheol Choi schrieb am Fri, 1 Aug 1997 15:08:55 -0400 (EDT):

> Is there anyone who has good experience with Alpha + Linux combination?

Linux is really running quite well on the Alpha platform in the
meantime. We have it running on a little workstation for more than a
year now.

But if you're interested in pure number crunching performance, one
has to consider that the freely available compilers (gcc, f2c) aren't
as good optimized for the Alpha processors as their Digital Unix
counterparts. The situation has been improved much in the last months
but I think DEC still has a little projection.

If you're doing Fortran development it has to be mentioned that the
GNU Fortran Compiler g77 isn't yet ported to Linux Alpha. There was a
successful call for donations on the Alpha-Linux mailinglists for
buying an Alpha machine for the main g77-developper Craig
Burley. Since Craig is using the Alpha now as main development
platform most of the port has been done these days but it isn't
finished.

The last major disadvantage of Linux on the Alpha platform is a linker
bug which prevents building large binaries (as far as I know, this is
why Gaussian hasn't been ported to Linux until now).

But: if you have a Digital Unix license you can compile your programs on
a machine running Digital Unix and execute them on the Linux one. This
way you get the advantages of both worlds.

Markus

-- 
Markus Dickebohm        E-Mail: [email-masked]
Physical Chemistry      
University of Cologne
Germany

>From [email-masked] Fri Aug  1 12:28 EDT 1997
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 12:37:01 -0400
From: Stephanie Dobler <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Organization: Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Supercomputing Techniques: CRAY J90/C90

                    Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
                   Supercomputing Techniques:  CRAY J90/C90 
                               September 8-11, 1997

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                 REGISTRATION DEADLINE:  August 15, 1997
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

PURPOSE:

The purpose of this three and a half day workshop is to introduce
participants to computing on the CRAY J90/C90. Participants will gain
experience in running jobs on the J90/C90, optimizing code, parallel
processing, and on the use of graphics software libraries and packages. 

AGENDA:

The first day of this workshop is designed to introduce participants to
the J90/C90 platform.  During this time, participants will become
familiar
with PSC's supercomputing environment, the UNICOS operating system, CRAY
compiling, job submission, troubleshooting, and debugging. 

The last three days of this workshop are designed for users who are
already familiar with running jobs on the CRAY J90/C90 and who are
interested in more advanced topics: 

* The Code Optimization portion will cover performance monitoring 
  techniques and strategies to improve the performance of one's code. 

* The Parallel Processing portion concentrates on the mechanics of 
  parallel computing on the J90/C90 systems.  

* The final day will explore graphics and visualization topics ranging 
  from a general overview of graphics packages available at PSC to a 
  more advanced discussion of animation and 3-D graphics.  

To ensure that participants receive quality training, our workshops
incorporate both lectures and extensive hands-on lab sessions. 
Programming exercises are carefully designed to reinforce concepts and
techniques taught in class. Our instructors have strong scientific and
technical backgrounds and are available for individual consultation
during
lab sessions. 

In addition to the lab exercises, lab time will also be available for
participants to optimize their own code with the help and supervision of
our instructors.  Participants are encouraged to bring their code, but
not
required. 

   ==> A working knowledge of FORTRAN or C and UNIX are required.

REGISTRATION FEES:

Admission to this training workshop is free to the United States
academic 
community. 

Interested corporate and government applicants, as well as applicants
>from
academic institutions outside the United States should contact Kathi
Burgard at (412) 268-5131 for information on attendance fees. 

HOUSING AND TRAVEL:

Housing and travel are the responsibility of participants, but we will
provide information on local hotels at your request. Group rates for
local
hotels are available on a first-come, first-served basis. 

REGISTRATION:

To register for Supercomputing Techniques: CRAY J90/C90, please complete
and return the application form below by August 15, to: 

     Workshop Application Committee
     ATTN: Kathi Burgard
     Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
     4400 Fifth Avenue
     Pittsburgh, PA  15213. 

You may also apply for this workshop by sending requested information 
via electronic mail to [email-masked] or via fax to (412/268-5832).

All applicants will be notified of acceptance during the week of August
18, 
1997.

For additional online information, including a preliminary agenda,
please visit
the workshop's homepage:
http://www.psc.edu/training/J90_Sept_97/welcome.html

===============================================================================
Name: 

Please circle one:      Ms.     Mr.     Dr.     Prof.

Department: 

Univ/Ind/Gov Affiliation:

Address:

Telephone:  W (   )               H(   )                        

Electronic Mail Address:

Social Security Number:                                 

Citizenship:

Are you a PSC user (yes/no)?
If yes, please give your PSC username:

Academic Standing (please check one):
  F - Faculty          UG - Undergraduate                  I -Industrial
 PD - Postdoctorate    UR - University Research Staff      GV-Government
 GS - Graduate Student UN - University Non-Research Staff   O - Other 

Please explain why you are interested in attending this workshop and
what 
you hope to gain from it.
 
_______________________________________________________________________
NOTE: THE FOLLOWING TWO QUESTIONS MUST BE COMPLETED FOR THE 
APPLICATION TO RECEIVE CONSIDERATION.
_______________________________________________________________________

1. Briefly describe your computing background (scalar, vector, and 
parallel programming experience; platforms; languages):

2. Briefly describe your research interests:

Please indicate the workshop for which you are applying:

All applicants will be notified of acceptance during the week of August
18.