Subject: converting cacao output into html

From: "Jeffrey J. Ayres" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 19:51:53 -0700

Dear Jeffrey,

Please, send a summury if you will get any answers.

Thanks,

                       Dr. Irena Efremenko
                  [email-masked]
                  Chemical Engeneering Department,
             Technion, Israel Institute of Technology
               Kyriat Technion, 32000, Haifa, Israel
             Tel. (972)-4-8292902  Fax. (972)-4-8230476

	The first letter was the most useful.  PSP, paint shop pro converts
 .hgl files, resolution is not as good as the orginals.  In addition if
size of the image is reduced too much the colors are lost and the images
must be viewed in black and white.  MS Word 97 is the easiest to use,
however once the files are converted to .html resolution is poor.  To
improve the resolution for smaller size images use PSP, first resize,
second crop the image using the square selection tool(should save as a
 .gif image) under the edit menu copy the cropped image using the paste
function into a new selection, it should convert the file into a .gif
file. Save the file. Gif files are readable with several browsers.
	The post script files mentioned by John Nash were not verifiable using
my system.  The post script files were not copied into files on my hard
drive.  

						Jeff Ayres
						MS Biochemistry
						Cal. State Univ. Hayward
				Seeking a job in computational chemistry

Dear Jeff,
	I suppose you refer to the .hgl files produced by CACAO. You may
import these files in a document with MS word 6. Moreover, PaintShop
(Windows95 shareware) can read and convert these files. Beware that
there
are two
possible HP extensions implemented in Paintshop. Sorry
I do not
remember now the correct extension type. You may download paintshop from
ftp://ftp.support.lotus.com//pub/utils/pubutils/win32/psp32.zip

Hope it helps
Regards

Dr Bruno Manunza
DISAABA (Dept. of Agricultural Environm. Sci)
University of Sassari
V.le Italia 39
07100 Sassari, ITALY
phone: 39 79 229215
fax:   39 79 229276
e-mail: [email-masked]
e-mail: [email-masked]
e-mail: [email-masked]
web: http://antas.agraria.uniss.it

the file of cacao are HPGL files, you produce them for all the picture
on the
screen
and they are colected under
/moan
with the names

cacao1.hgl
cacao2.hgl.. and so on
togheter with
moan1.hgl...

you can preview them with view (if you installed printgl)
or you can easily import in WORD6.0 (htere is a filter for HPGL file)

or in any other graphic program able to read hpgl files,
then form there you may be able to convert them in .bmp or jpg

I hope that his is of some help...
best regards

Davide Proserpio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Davide M. Proserpio
Dipartimento  di Chimica  Strutturale  e  Stereochimica  Inorganica
Universita' di Milano,   Via Venezian, 21 -  20133  Milano,   Italy
phone +39-2-70635120 fax 70635288 -     [email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff-
	CACAO can output its pictures in PostScript and I think HPGL.  (You
have to have the PRINTGL package installed as well.)  From there, you
can
use Illustrator, GhostScript, or anything else that will convert PS for
the
former, and I believe that PC WordPerfect will read in HPGL.  On the
Mac,
Graphic Converter can read HPGL, too.
	Personally, I've had good luck with the color postscript files.
Since they are "true" PostScript files, they are small and easily
manipulatable (i.e. vector not bitmap).  I've had the best luck using
Illustrator to make my figures.
	Good luck!

	-john
	almost a PhD... days now....

-==-John R. Nash-==[email-masked]==-UW-Madison Chem. Dept-==-
                 --- "When in doubt, roll!" ---